Author Topic: Satanic music  (Read 4559 times)

lezbelle123

• View Profile
Satanic music
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:49:31 AM »
Having just read Blanche Barton's book, a book written by the life partner of Anton Szandor LaVey (founder of LaVeyan Satanism), my curiosity toward the theremin and the type of music he performed has been piqued; I was curious as to just what LaVey's brand of old-fashioned "Devil Music" sounded like. I've heard him mention Frank Sinatra, Irving Berlin (think Bing Crosby's White Christmas), Tony Bennett, and several other old-time musicians from the Big Band and swing era. Music which my late mother would be very familiar with, as she had grown up with it. Much like LaVey himself, of course. It is a lot different than what my generation-the generation I never grew up in really became a part of considered to be "Satanic"; I'm thinking Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Slayer, headbanging shit like that (not to mention the band Stryper-a so-called "Christian" band many believed were actually wolves in sheep's clothing, as the old saying goes). I know about Marilyn Manson and have been into him since first learning of him sometime around 1996 while living in Orlando, Florida; a city where he created quite a stir among local Christofascists when the churches all learned of a concert he planned on performing at the University of Central Florida. I also know about King Diamond of Mercyful Fate fame. However, LaVey's music definitely seems more like something you'd hear at an old time circus or carnival.         
Cheryl

SatanicSwine

• View Profile
Re: Satanic music
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:03:26 AM »
I recently found out about the band Ghost, which I didn't really like at first, but has now become my most listened to band at the moment. I'm not sure if the band is actually satanic, but their music is pretty much all about satan. Being a 70s kid, I enjoyed the theatrics of Kiss and Alice Cooper, so Ghost is right up my alley in that department.

It's funny that you mention Stryper, because I was a pretty big fan when I was a Christian, and had no idea that some people thought they were anything other than Christian. I actually saw them in concert in Pittsburgh back in the day. The only thing I remember about it is that I thought they were way too loud for the venue.

I would agree about LaVey's choice in music in that, while I enjoy Sinatra and singers of that ilk, I don't think satanic when I think of them.

lezbelle123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:04:20 AM »
I must admit, Satanic Swine, that LaVey's Whirling Dervish song had me thinking more of Muslim music than anything else. My friend having written a book titled The Ghost of Scheherazade (on Amazon), in it he mentions how the character as a child listen to Scheherazade. A classical piece of Early Music that became popular with Disney's Arabian Nights. I won't spoil the book's story; however, the man growing up to become a teacher, as a child he fantasized about the magical city of Baghdad, Iraq; only to have a son years later who would go off to serve in the Marines in the Iraqi War. The father soon learning that Baghdad was not the magical place he dreamed it was as a child.

Having dabbled in so-called "Satanism" while listening to heavy metal albums, after moving to Florida with my family, I got into LaVeyan Satanism after reading The Satanic Bible. A couple people I know had what they called a "Black Circle" that met in Downtown Orlando; mostly as a rebellion toward the fundamentalist Christian problem present in Central Florida throughout the late 1980s through the 90s (and obviously still to this day, to some extent; The Satanic Temple having passed out the Big Book of Satanic Activities in retaliation for some Christian group attempting to pass out issues of the New Testament at elementary and other schools).

I got away from it for a little while. Graduating toward Wiccan before, ever so briefly, trying the born-again Christian route (as you may have done and/or gotten away from!). This after moving back to Connecticut and briefly living in Waterbury, having sent away for Power for Living, for about seven weeks I attended one of these storefront churches and went to their Bible study meetings (the church, only two times; the Bible study about seven times before realizing I could never agree with their antiabortion, anti-cursing, anti-everything bullshit!). After which time I moved back with my mother living in Southbury, Connecticut and went back to the Mattituck Unitarian Universalist Society; joining a Bible study that was more about questioning the Bible than anything else! (The fundamentalist/evangelical storefront church having taken the damn thing LITERALLY; I'll never forget the night the church elder passed around the magazine with extremely graphic retouched photos of what supposedly were "unborn babies", his own wife literally screaming at him and saying, "That's enough, John! We've seen enough!" Shortly before asking me why they didn't see me in church in the past few weeks, at which time I mentioned how I returned to the Unitarian Church; her reply? "Unitarians? Huh?" She obviously knew exactly what they were about! The feminist extremist church, to evangelical Christians, anyway.)

And so, having gotten frustrated with the Wiccan path-I essentially was what they call a "Dark Wiccan", mostly due to the fact that I tend to be pessimistic, rather than optimistic toward most everything people generally cherish in life, I drifted toward the atheists and agnostics. Once again picking up LaVey's Satanic Bible but not necessarily agreeing with everything he said (the part about "The strong will inherit the earth! The week shall inherit the yoke!" Something which didn't sit well with me as someone collecting SSD/SSI, especially after being homeless for over 2 1/2 years and bouncing around the country,  essentially being railroaded into a bunch of faith-based bullshit by social services agencies in various states (I being transgender, I learned a lot about Christians and their hatred toward LGBTQ's in general). However, I have trouble agreeing with some of the Humanist principles some of my fellow atheists/agnostics believe in and/or have been drifting toward, one of those being a sense of belonging to some outside community. I do not really care for Las Cruces, New Mexico in general, to be honest, as it is a rather conservative, mostly Christian/Catholic oriented place; the local population being about 60 percent Hispanic Mexican-American, the rest rednecks with a few excessively politically correct liberals scattered about. A description that essentially fits many I meet in the local atheist group; Las Cruces Atheists, Agnostics, Skeptics and Humanists (on Facebook and in person). And so, that's the story. Taking into consideration that I spend much of my time online, rather than the community outside of the campus of New Mexico State University (and its Doņa Ana Community College Branch-where I take classes and
little else; not to be prejudiced but I find it hard to relate to the many devoted Catholic Mexican-Americans in my classes, as well as the white evangelical Christians), I spend a lot of time online on Facebook. Reading about The Satanic Temple and its formidable challenge toward the ever encroaching religious right Christofascist element poisoning America (the abortion debate, for example), must I say that I was attracted back to the dark side. Then again, I don't think I ever left it since the first time I read LaVey's Satanic Bible.
Cheryl

GACatmandu

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 05:23:11 PM »
Since you mentioned Stryper, here they are covering a Black Sabbath songs

After Forever

and
Heaven And Hell

iaxxaxxai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 10:47:06 PM »
Black Sabbath was predominantly a Christian band. A quick read of lyrics from the album Master of Reality makes it clear.
They're a "fire and brimstone" style of christianity...write about all this dark stuff to scare you away from it.

iaxxaxxai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 10:48:13 PM »
And Ronnie James Dio...total Catholic til the end... don't be fooled by any of these guys. They were never "Satanic".

GACatmandu

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:11:53 AM »

Go to the 3:55 mark in this video. Just because someone is raised Catholic doesn't mean that's what they believe, Ronnie at the very least was Atheist.

Brego

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »
Is there satanic music that isn't... you know. Hardcore death metal? Not that I dislike death metal. I just prefer less noise.

GACatmandu

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
Is there satanic music that isn't... you know. Hardcore death metal? Not that I dislike death metal. I just prefer less noise.

If by Satanic Music you mean music put out by Satanist, there's this

Darren Deicide

iaxxaxxai

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »
see my post in this thread for some non-death metal "Satanic" music:
http://thefriendsofsatan.com/index.php?topic=771.0

Rimbaud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »
Dimmu Borgir is pretty good.

vav

• Beer Industry Pro
    • View Profile
    • @Beeradam Twitter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:33 PM »
Lustmord.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

Knuse

• No Gods No Masters
    • View Profile
    • Knuse
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
My personal bandcamp.  More drony/noisy/experimental than straight metal. 

knuse.bandcamp.com

And one of my active bands, Show of Bedlam, is not explicitly satanist, but I am in the band and other members are at least sympathetic towards satanism, and have been interested in the work of TST:

showofbedlam.bandcamp.com

Here's us playing at The Acheron in Brooklyn with Noothgrush. I'm on bass.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.  Love is the Law, Love under Will.

apoisontree

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 08:29:33 PM »
I enjoyed the primal nature and percussion in LaVey's "The Whirling Dervish".

None More Bitter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
King Dude, my internet friends.

I think things about stuff.