Author Topic: Guilty pleasures in music  (Read 10994 times)

Oklahoma Satanist

Re: Guilty pleasures in music
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »
Johnny Mcgovern is a gay-pride singer (nothing wrong with that). The thing is, I'm not gay, nor I'm I listening to it in a immature way. I just really like this song. the strangest part is I mostly listen to metal and hard rock, even though this is nothing like that.   

LadyCrymsyn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
There's nothing I can find redeemable about either of these songs musically or lyrically, but I still love them:

Bellephomet

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
John friggin Tesh. I have no shame.

Vapula Lix

• The revolution will be televised, its here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »
I love me some Daft Punk.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

wank

• Sail Hatin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 12:33:15 PM »

Fuck it, I love me some trap shit.

blackrosefencer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 11:22:24 PM »
I absolutely DESPISE xmas songs....I will only listen to Trans-Siberian Orchestra because I loved Savatage and TSO kind of came around because of them. Plus how can you deny that amazing violinist that runs around the stage head banging and playing at the same time! He's awesome!

So anyway, that's what makes this particular song a guilty pleasure for me. I typically hate xmas songs....but I just cannot get enough of this one! Even though it isn't December, this is I think the best example of a guilty pleasure for me. The band is very religious I think, but I have to give them credit for this song. lol.

RationalEccentric

• Ladies don't start fights, but we can finish them!
    • View Profile
    • Casey Pierce Fiction
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
Nightcore.  Just everything Nightcore.  I know it's stupid and annoying but I just. Can't. STOP.

Also, brony music.  Although that's less because it's inconsistent with my character than because I don't like to admit it in public XD
"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're right.' If you don't have that, if you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated." -Alinsky

rvenfrost

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 04:38:31 AM »
Nightcore.  Just everything Nightcore.  I know it's stupid and annoying but I just. Can't. STOP.

.... what is this in my ears... its terrible but so amazing.  I think you have introduced me to something that will be joining playlists of mine. I don't know whether to thank you or cry.   

RationalEccentric

• Ladies don't start fights, but we can finish them!
    • View Profile
    • Casey Pierce Fiction
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
.... what is this in my ears... its terrible but so amazing.  I think you have introduced me to something that will be joining playlists of mine. I don't know whether to thank you or cry.

And I don't know whether to say you're welcome or sorry!  ;)
I would probably be adding the t.A.T.u. and Daft Punk songs from previous posts to some of my playlists... if they weren't already there! 
"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're right.' If you don't have that, if you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated." -Alinsky

Zatyr Ashen

• Fire at will, my friends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 07:44:51 PM »

Question the ends.
Question the means.
Do not go gentle.

Karenart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 12:28:34 AM »
:-[

Awesome!  When I first read about the law suit that woman in Nebraska filed on behalf of god, where she was suing all gay and lesbian people, I thought every gay and lesbian person in the U.S. should show up to court just to freak her out!  This song reminded me of that.  :)
"....And it's the same the whole world 'round
The hurt I see helps to compound
The Father, Son and Holy Ghost
Is just somebody's unholy hoax
And if you're up there you'll perceive
That my heart's here upon my sleeve
If there's one thing I don't believe in  -
It's you, Dear God"
- XTC, Dear God

Karenart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 01:26:25 AM »
One of my favorite artists is Eminem.  Marshall Mathers is brilliant, but because of his anti gay, anti women lyrics it is hard to explain to friends sometimes how I can love his stuff.  He did a fantastic cameo at the beginning of the movie "The Interview" in which some of his lyrics (not real ones... but still) were read and were so vile.  He then says something to the effect of "People take my lyrics out of context."  Hah!  I laughed so hard because it is really true.  How do you explain to people that the point of his alter ego Slim Shady is to be as offensive as one can be and not have them look at you with shame?  Eminem is brilliant at the rhyme, and he is actually a kind of stand up person in the real world.  He was raised to believe homosexuality is wrong, but has since changed his mind and has stated he thinks same sex couples should be able to marry.  He is friends with Elton John.  He took custody of his little brother when he was fairly young himself so he could get his little brother out of foster care.  He married his childhood sweet heart... twice.... even though he could marry any number of people.  He started the Marshall Mather's Foundation to give back to Detroit's underprivileged youth.  So basically, I like him.  I like him despite the hate lyrics in some of his songs.  I think his music is a reflection of not only self, but also of some very real elements of society in general, and I think it is important.  That being said, here is one song I like that I have to turn down at stop lights as I don't want anyone to hear the lyrics....

and this one, which is ridiculously censored... even the supposedly "uncensored" versions on YouTube are actually censored as many lyrics have been revised (to the point where they don't make sense in some cases)...

It's you, Dear God"
- XTC, Dear God

Karenart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
I absolutely DESPISE xmas songs....I will only listen to Trans-Siberian Orchestra because I loved Savatage and TSO kind of came around because of them. Plus how can you deny that amazing violinist that runs around the stage head banging and playing at the same time! He's awesome!

So anyway, that's what makes this particular song a guilty pleasure for me. I typically hate xmas songs....but I just cannot get enough of this one! Even though it isn't December, this is I think the best example of a guilty pleasure for me. The band is very religious I think, but I have to give them credit for this song. lol.

Hah!  I never have heard that one before.  Just want to say that if you haven't watched or listened to Stephen Colbert's "The Greatest Gift of All", you should totally check it out.  It is a phenomenal Christmas special and the sound track is amazing.  Here are a few of my favorites...

Ok, I'll stop now.  The point is, every song is awesome! 

Oh and the two gentlemen who wrote the songs for this special are Adam Schlesinger and David Javerbaum.  David Javerbaum has a twitter account called The Tweet of God.  I don't tweet/twitter, etc., but it is obviously a good match for this group so I thought that is worth a mention. ;)

It's you, Dear God"
- XTC, Dear God

Lilith201

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 10:21:25 AM »
I have that album, Curtain Call. I agree; some of his rhyming is brilliant. Even though I find some of it offensive. There are a couple of tunes on the album I can't listen to.

Also liked that Sugababes video someone posted earlier!

As far as guilty pleasure--I have a Backstreet Boys cd... :P

As for Christmas songs--Winter Wonderland is a great song, and Hark! the Herald Angel Sing I believe was written by Joseph Haydn. People who don't like Christmas music are probably thinking of the shopping mall versions.
"Ain't no burning hell."--John Lee Hooker

Karenart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
There's nothing I can find redeemable about either of these songs musically or lyrically, but I still love them:

Hah!  Those are awesome!  :D
It's you, Dear God"
- XTC, Dear God