Author Topic: I had to ask... any Marilyn Manson fans out there?  (Read 4411 times)

SylviaWoolf

• View Profile
I had to ask... any Marilyn Manson fans out there?
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »
So, I was just interested if there were any fellow Marilyn Manson fans out there. I know loads of people are probably tired of bringing up Satanism and a bunch wide eyed kids bringing up Manson, but are there any fans? I feel for loads of people, he was a key part of out artistic and atheistic journey. I also know the Manson fan base is one of the most passionate and obsessive fandoms ever, and it's always great to connect with. Haters are more then welcome, I can defend Brian any day.
"Someone Had To Go This Far".

Azoetia

• View Profile
Re: I had to ask... any Marilyn Manson fans out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 05:03:39 PM »
Grew up on Manson. I was a huge fan from Portrait of an American Family through Holy Wood, but starting in '98 I was getting more and more into extreme metal, so by the time The Golden Age of Grotesque came out I was in a full-blown "I'm too metal for this kiddie shit" phase and didn't give it much of a chance. In more recent years I've rediscovered how much I like Manson. I really do enjoy all the albums except for The High End of Low, but my favourite stuff is from back when it was a real band, not a solo project with a rotating group of session musicians.

SylviaWoolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
I completely agree. The first full Manson album I heard was "Golden Age", and as a little 15 year old Mormon it felt transgressive, but quickly wore away. The Trilogy of albums really is what makes him so important i think, up intel about 2001 is where I stop recommending him. But there are tracks to love on all his records. But the band era is the best; musically, visually, philosophically. 
"Someone Had To Go This Far".

Azoetia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 05:09:45 PM »
I became a Manson fan in 1995, and still have nostalgia for those pre-internet days of reading every magazine article I could get ahold of to find out more about the band. The internet existed at that point but it was extremely sparse, the band themselves didn't have a website at all, and blogging wasn't a thing yet. The modern up-to-the-minute-information-about-everything social media paradigm didn't exist, so the only thing I had access to was music magazines that had professional journalists doing the gatekeeping through relatively short articles. And although that was a pain in the ass in a lot of ways, it fostered a mysterious atmosphere that I really enjoyed.

The band that comes closest to doing that for me nowadays is Ghost, due to their anonymity. But things will never be the same when you're 34 as they were when you were 14.

Diess

• Hail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »
I love MM, he was definitely part of my questioning phase and eventual transition into atheism. His music, like, speaks to me, dude.

samowens84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:45 PM »
For a long time I was a devoted nirvana fan. I grew up in a religious household and I bought the idea that if not a dangerous figure, then at least a shock rocker lacking substance. Then I actually listened to him. What I find moving about him is that his music is thought provoking. I know it's fashionable to prefer his early work, and for me antichrist superstar is an excellent work; however I think the emotional honesty of "eat me, drink me" appeals to me the most of all his work, although I'm sure to be in the minority here lol.

lezbelle123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »
I've been a Marilyn Manson fan since the time I lived in Florida and first learned of him when he came to some club in Orlando. This back in either 1995 and 1996, I forget.What enticed me to Marilyn Manson in the first place? Having moved to Florida with my parents in 1985, instantly, the moment I got there and saw how the fundamentalist Christians dictated the political system in the Sunshine State (or should I say "Gunshine State"?), I began to get deeper into LaVeyan Satanism. A spark that was enticed by the dabblers and so-called "friends" I hung around with in the Danbury-Bethel area of Connecticut where I previously lived in Newtown; we used to listen to AC/DC, WASP, Iron Maiden, and Mercyful Fate/King Diamond-that sort of shit. However, the whole "devil worship" thing was essentially just a fad-much as it was to Ricky Kasso. The teenage killer from my native Long Island, New York who inspired the book, Say you Love Satan-a guy who stabbed his friend, Gary Lawlers, thirty-eight times during the so called "Satanic ritual" held in Northport, New York graveyard one night; this in a dispute over a debt he owed to Ricky for some hits of LSD purchased. Later, after reading Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible in depth, I realize the so-called Satanists were simply dope heads who, while tripping on acid/doing cocaine, plus smoking pot, claimed to have "Heard Satan talking to them" through music by AC/DC and the like; much the same as was the story with the young Brian Warner at that haunted house in Canton, Ohio. Worthy of note here-most of the so-called Satanists (dabblers) I knew were usually Catholic! (They watched the Exorcist, naturally.Star of the film being Linda Blair who lived in Westport, Connecticut for many years.)

And so, much the same was true of Marilyn Manson. Like all those other aforementioned bands, Christians and Catholics instantly took a hatred toward him because of his lyrics and stage antics. That and one Orthodox Jewish politician-the former Democratic United States Senator from Connecticut, Joe Lieberman! My first album was Antichrist Superstar. A CD that I recently repurchased after the old one got lost, or maybe stolen? That CD, by the way, being the most "Devil -related" CD he ever released. I missed his concert in 1997-the time when he played the tiny Knights Arena at the University of Central Florida in East Orange County (Orlando unincorporated). His band receiving a warm welcome from all these Christofascists coming from every area Christian college (including Stetson University in Deland, Florida) and every fundamentalist church one could think of, notwithstanding the fact that the concert was about to be canceled because of a lack of ticket sales, as soon as the three major television news media outlets arrive to interview all the Christians who were protesting, the concert sold out within an hour and a half and the show went on. The reason I missed the concert? Despite having the money to go, I did not have a car at the time and the Lynx Bus serving UCF stopped running at 7:00 PM. Bummer. I would've loved to get in the face of those Christians and tell all of them off-tell them what to do with their crucifix and how they can shove it where the sun does not shine! However, after first moving to Upstate New York, and later, back with my mother in Southbury, Connecticut-I did get to see him in New York City twice. First time at the Hammerstein Ballroom; the second time (standing room only, with a mosh pit I stayed out of) at the Roseland Ballroom. I remember hearing me say "Thank you New York City! You are one of the few places where I don't have to deal with Christian protesters!"

Up until recently, however, I only had his older albums; Portrait of an American Family; The Golden Age of Grotesque; and two others-Smells like Children and God, Guns, Government. However, having recently joined the paid Spotify, I got to listen to a lot of his newer albums as well. Not just that, but last summer, after having had to dispose of nearly everything in my storage (including a whole box of landscape photography photos I'd saved throughout the years-sadly-places I had been everywhere east of the Mississippi), I kept his book and two by Jimmy Carter (my favorite Christian!). This summer, over summer break while staying in on-campus housing, I reread his book. The Long Hard Road out of Hell. Only difference this time being that, as a transsexual woman, the last time I hadn't yet come out of the closet. That said, I saw his story in a whole new light. I still having my same attitude toward life, and people in general, I must say I can relate to Marilyn Manson in a lot of ways. Particularly the part where, in his book, he said the following: "People are stupid". Never after making the mistake of moving to Las Cruces New Mexico, and again making the mistake of coming back after the financial aid wouldn't fully cover all the expenses associated with attending two different SUNY schools back in New York State-both which accepted me-I wanted to go to Potsdam, what I see this is the truth. Something which is true especially among many of America's working-class people; most of whom have their heads up the late Jesus' asshole when it comes to being able to think for themselves; the "Keeping up with the Kardashians" mentality mixed with post-9/11 paranoia and pro-birther stupidity.

Marilyn Manson, as many who have read his book (plus all the fundamentalist Christian vermin who hate him!)know, being an ordained Reverend in the late Anton LaVey's (Blanche Barton's) Church of Satan. However, and this I must say after reading Satanic Bible-the book by Anton Szandor LaVey, I do not necessarily agree with everything LaVey said. Ironically, myself being dependent on those so-called "entitlements" as America's Republican politicians who often call themselves "Devout Christians" call them, I must say that Republican Christianity is essentially LaVeyan Satanism peppered with all that old-fashioned Christian fundamentalist bullshit pertaining to abortion, same-sex marriage and/or relationships, using swear words in public, you get the point. All the bullshit compiled by editor, and Roman Emperor Constantine that "Jesus Christ" (based upon a mentally ill Jewish man named Yeshua who apparently stirred up lots of trouble in ancient Judea) supposedly said. That or maybe Paul, a man whom secular Bible scholars claim was born roughly 20 years after Yeshua's crucifixion by the Romans (the charge? Being a public nuisance Jew), had actually said. Paul essentially taking all the old guilt and bullshit teachings out of the Torah and rewriting them in the New Testament. Worthy of note here. Many atheists claim Paul never even existed. (Sorry for the long rant here. I could probably use this, edited of course, as part of a college entrance essay-e.g. questions asked being the reason for transferring and the objectives I want to achieve by attending said school. Thinking of Johnson State College in Vermont and possibly SIU in Carbondale, among others. I am sick of Las Cruces, New Mexico and must admit that life in redneck-retirement-ville/the Fronteras is making me begin to, ever so slightly, agree with Republican Donald Trump on his notorious statements.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:14:39 PM by lezbelle123 »
Cheryl

Lucidfer

• Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Not a huge fan of his music, but I have nothing but respect for him as a person and as an artist. I think he's got an awesome metal voice though and still really dig a couple songs from Anti-Christ Superstar (maybe others too, I haven't listened to a full album in a really long time).
I'm an anti-establishment, anti-feminist, anti-conservative/right, and anti-regressive/left satanist that believes only bad and stupid ideas want to be shielded from criticism.

GnashingOfTeeth

• Think For Yourself - Question Authority
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
I'll say this about Marilyn Manson. They were absolutely ground breaking whenever they first came out. I'll never forget the first time I listened to Portrait of an American Family. No mainstream record stores were carrying it whenever it first came out. One of my friends somehow ended up with a dubbed copy on a blank cassette tape, and he let me borrow it for a couple of days. I pretty much listened to it nonstop until he asked for it back. A couple of months later we went and saw them on the Smells Like Children tour. The show was unbelievable, and it takes a lot for me to say that as I have seen hundreds of concerts. Their back drop was a giant Ouija board. It was sick as all hell. Before they came out they played this god-awful children's christian sing along music through the PA. They played it for probably 20 to 30 minutes straight until everyone in the venue was screaming and shouting obscenities. They then shut the christian music off and turned down the lights. Everyone started cheering, and then they turned the christian music back on and kept playing it. The crowd was absolutely rabid by the time they finally shut the christian music off for good and started in on the first song. The entire show was absolute mayhem. I remember somewhere in the middle of the act Marilyn was drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels, and he took the bottle and broke it over his head. In sum, it was an outstanding performance. However, somewhere between Anti-Christ Superstar and Mechanical Animals they lost their appeal. It wasn't so much success or "selling out" that ruined their appeal. I think the problem was that once they were well known they lost all of the mystery and creepiness they carried as a lesser known underground act. It could be compared to an old horror movie that is scary until the monster is revealed, and it's some guy dressed up in some lame ass alien costume. But on rare occasions I'm still known to throw on some Portrait. I still love that shit!

Tunrida

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 04:12:15 AM »
Though I´m aware of the Marilyn Manson being a member of the Church of Satan as well as did I read the latest interview where he resigns with Satanism by making clear point he is not Satanist, I have never approach him in that sense, but purely by music and aesthetic. Musically speaking Manson is interesting project and character. Not best I know, but neither worthless either. I enjoy his shocking theatrical performance which reminds little Alice Cooper from the days of past. Also his raw music and singing stimulates certain aspects of my mind with positive vibrations. Manson and Satanism seems to be one of the topics which regularly pop up in forums like this. The funny part in these discussions is the fact that he has already stated that he was member of the CoS because he respected their founder LaVey and that he doesn´t want to reduce his view to any one religion or philosophy. In that sense I think discussion about him as Satanist is already in the end of the road, but his interesting career as performance artist and musician is definitely worth of discussion.
A bene placito

SamAdversary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:35:23 PM »
I became a Manson fan in 1995, and still have nostalgia for those pre-internet days of reading every magazine article I could get ahold of to find out more about the band. The internet existed at that point but it was extremely sparse, the band themselves didn't have a website at all, and blogging wasn't a thing yet. The modern up-to-the-minute-information-about-everything social media paradigm didn't exist, so the only thing I had access to was music magazines that had professional journalists doing the gatekeeping through relatively short articles. And although that was a pain in the ass in a lot of ways, it fostered a mysterious atmosphere that I really enjoyed.

The band that comes closest to doing that for me nowadays is Ghost, due to their anonymity. But things will never be the same when you're 34 as they were when you were 14.

I'm really digging on Ghost lately...they're WAY more Blue Oyster Cult than "black metal" or whatever.  Really solid stuff, and they clearly "get" and embrace the pageantry of "Satanic Rock"...better than anyone has since, well, since Antichrist Superstar-era MM.

Ghost's new "single" Cirice and its accompanying video are pure, unadulterated, dark, rock-and-roll genius.
Insert pithy remark, context-free quotation, or pseudo-intellectual claptrap espousing a sweeping societal generalization here.

GnashingOfTeeth

• Think For Yourself - Question Authority
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
YES! I love YouTube.
The giant Ouija board, and the knocking yourself in the head with the bottle. He must have had the same act at every show, but goddamn did it work well!

I'll still throw horns up at this shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMkjHIJdx3M&feature=youtu.be&t=849

vav

• Beer Industry Pro
    • View Profile
    • @Beeradam Twitter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 12:13:21 AM »
I adore Mechanical Animals, in many ways i think it's a perfect album.

Other than that record...eh. I remember buying Smells Like Children when that came out in 95 or whatever and really digging the sound collage/experimental stuff on it, as i'd already found artists like Nurse With Wound and the like and was shocked to hear something like that on a commercial release. Antichrist i liked at the time, but over the years realized what i liked most wasn't the music per se, but the attitude and the message. It just hasn't held up for me though.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

shauntedder13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 06:51:26 AM »
He did write a book a true life story a rough and hard ride out of hell. I heard of it. Hadn't read it though. But if its a true life story. It might be a memoirs or biography of Marilyn Manson. I wonder if he's related to Charles Manson. Both are from the cos.

samowens84

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 10:08:38 AM »
He did write a book a true life story a rough and hard ride out of hell. I heard of it. Hadn't read it though. But if its a true life story. It might be a memoirs or biography of Marilyn Manson. I wonder if he's related to Charles Manson. Both are from the cos.

Lol I hope you're being facetious.