Author Topic: Reading Group  (Read 16970 times)

Randi

Reading Group
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »
Hello all,

I posted on the Facebook group awhile back about establishing a reading group for all interested members. We had quite a bit of interest at the time.

Now that we have a place to gather and discuss our thoughts, why don't we choose a book and get started?

I've personally just begun The Quest for the Historical Satan by Miguel De La Torre and Albert Hernandez. Another member just ordered the book and plans to read with me. Is anyone else interested in this work? If so, we could start a discussion forum for it if you'd all like to get the book and join us.

You can find the book's Amazon.com page here: http://tinyurl.com/o6hyem2.

If you have other suggestions, feel free to chime in.

ghost

• View Profile
    • The Abyssal Collective
Re: Reading Group
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »
I'd actually been looking for books on the subject, but hadn't yet found anything I was interested in. I'd love to pick up a copy of that, though, for sure.
The gods of the old world become the devils of the new.

Randi

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
Pick up a copy and read with us! I've only just finished the prologue, and I'm already excited to get to the rest. I think it'll bring up some great conversation and points to consider.

Manel

• articulate vulgarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »
Excellent.  Thanks, Randi!  And yeah, I ordered my copy tonight.  :)

I also want to order The Revolt of Angels - but was confused as to which edition to get.  Damien just kindly advised,  "I have the Wilfred Jackson translation. It was free in eformat."

I look forward to a TST Reading Group commencing soon.  Right on.

\m/

ghost

• View Profile
    • The Abyssal Collective
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:16 PM »
Pick up a copy and read with us! I've only just finished the prologue, and I'm already excited to get to the rest. I think it'll bring up some great conversation and points to consider.
Will do! I'm pretty busy with work/school, but I do love reading as often as I can. I'll order a copy tonight.
The gods of the old world become the devils of the new.

Randi

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:15:10 PM »
I just ordered the Dover Thrift Edition of The Revolt of the Angels (http://tinyurl.com/oknvttq). I got the free kindle ebook as well, but I'm more likely to read a physical book because I can mark it up with notes/underlines (yes, I'm one of those).

Lucien Greaves

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Process
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »
Project Gutenberg also has Revolt of the Angels available for download in multiple formats: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32596

Lilith201

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:38:27 AM »
I would be interested in a reading group. I'm willing to read the book mentioned, but who are the authors? I haven't heard of them. I'm not a fan of historical works written by non-historians, with a few exceptions.

"Revolt of the Angels" is wildly entertaining and I highly recommend it!
"Ain't no burning hell."--John Lee Hooker

The Iron Chariots

• Naturalist & Anti-Theist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
I've not read "The Quest for the Historical Satan". However I have my doubts. The main author Miguel A. De La Torre is a former Southern Baptist minister, theologian, and graduate of seminary school, and Temple University.

This hardly necessitates the book to be bad. However, It does cast a large shadow of skepticism as to the potential bias (confirmation or otherwise) that may be present.

I like the idea of a book club or reading by members of this forum. But I'll be sitting this one out until a few of you have read it and decided whether or not it's worth the read.

The Iron Chariots

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 09:19:24 AM »

This hardly necessitates the book to be bad. However, It does cast a large shadow of skepticism as to the potential bias (confirmation or otherwise) that may be present.

I guess if you're interested in how Christianity has come to view and define "Satan", who are in many ways the progenitors of the meme, it very well may be a useful read.

DR_PAUL_666

• not your typical physician, member #797
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
Project Gutenberg also has Revolt of the Angels available for download in multiple formats: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32596

Lucien, some forums let you do a "Poll". Might help in selecting a book.
Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

The Iron Chariots

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »

Lucien, some forums let you do a "Poll". Might help in selecting a book.

I think this is a fabulous idea. If this is the case, I'd love to nominate "The Conspiracy Against the Human Race" By Thomas Ligotti. Which is a wonderfully morbid tour-de-force of philosophical pessimism written by a world class horror film writer/producer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:37:00 AM by The Iron Chariots »

Xenia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »
I'm definitely interested in a reading group and book recommendations in general.

I recently got a nice French copy of Revolt of the Angels / La revolte des Anges.  :)

Manel

• articulate vulgarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »
"I've not read "The Quest for the Historical Satan". However I have my doubts. The main author Miguel A. De La Torre is a former Southern Baptist minister, theologian, and graduate of seminary school, and Temple University.

This hardly necessitates the book to be bad. However, It does cast a large shadow of skepticism as to the potential bias (confirmation or otherwise) that may be present."

Indeed, a secular historical perspective on the history of Satan throughout various world religious/fictional narrations would be most ideal.  I'm not at all certain whether such a text exists at all.  However, I'm down to read Randi's suggestion, first of all, because no one else took the initiative to suggest a reading group - as well as, since I was raised Muslim, the Christian narrative of Satan has always been foreign to me and different from the Islamic narration with which I am more familiar.  In Islam, Satan, was not a fallen angel from heaven, but rather the leader of the Jinn - which are thought of as unseen spirits made of fire that live on earth amongst humans.  In Islam, Angels came from light, Jinn from fire, and humans from clay.  It appears that most of the American/Western conception of Satan is dominated by the Christian narrative - so why not analyze it? 

There's plenty of time to consider other texts to read thereafter - and yes, to figure out which text should be analyzed next in the meantime.  So, let's please keep the TST book reading suggestions coming. 

If anyone is down to join Randi and I (and others) in reading The Quest For The Historical Satan , then let's do this.  (My copy will not arrive until next week, btw.)

Lucien Greaves

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Process
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
Yes, I'll have to play around with the polling option.
Jeffrey Burton Russell's books on Satan generally give a good history, but his perspective on Satanism is infuriatingly ignorant and perplexingly simple-minded, given the depth of academic research he gave to the topic.