Author Topic: Tenets of the Satanic Temple  (Read 14878 times)

Bluebone

• View Profile
Re: Tenets of the Satanic Temple
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »

THE ELEVEN SATANIC RULES OF THE EARTH

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

3. When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there.

4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

6. Do not take that which does not belong to you, unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.

7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.

there's a lot of wise statements in this, but #7? really?

Alex Black

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »
I can't remember what pushed me away from LeVeyan Satanism more, the 7th Satanic Rule of the Earth, or the social Darwinism.

The TST tenet about using science and reason is essentially what got me to even consider joining a religion. I hadn't seen any other religion that was totally compatible with skepticism before.

Xrossbow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 01:18:39 AM »
I actually like the Satanic Temple's Tenets, as they all seem to make sense. The one thing I'll question would be what is meant by "Compassion"? This in the sense of that one cannot live their life, as in something as simple as talking loudly on a cell phone in public, in a store like Walmart, for example (something my Republican-voting sister feels is wrong, she, in many ways, still being the good little Catholic schoolgirl she was raised as when she went to Catholic school).

However, I guess compassion can also be seen in another way altogether. Many of these so-called "Christians" talk the talk about Christian compassion. (Christians, whom I now call Constantianians, as it was the Roman Emperor, Constantine, who invented the concept of "Christianity" and the phantasmagorical illusion many Americans call "Jesus Christ"; the character, Jesus, probably having been derived from some wayward rabbi called Yeshua-a Jewish radical who was crucified for his own "sins" of being a troublemaker) However, and this I say after spending 2 1/2 years homeless, many of these so-called Christians are not necessarily "compassionate" to those whose lifestyles, or styles of dress, for that matter, they do not approve of!

I first got into Satanism years ago after reading Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible. That and from listening to heavy metal and/or Goth music; you know, stuff like Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Metallica, all that stuff. That and, after moving to Florida and going to many these 12-step meetings, meetings that were often dominated by these annoying "Born-again Christians", many whom often impart their so-called "Superior moral values" in the sense of how, supposedly, "Profanity is not a sign of spiritual growth" signs posted on the walls of the meeting places, it only made me hate Christians all the more, in general, anyway. This because I saw their religion as oppressive to everyone who does not agree with their so-called "morals" and "values"!

However, I do not agree with everything Anton LaVey says (or Nietzsche, for that matter). That said, I shall translate that meaning of compassion to mean everything that presidential hopeful, Bernie Sanders-Independent senator from Vermont, USA said today about how America has become an oligarchy, rather than a democracy. I'm sure he was referring to our lovely "Christian" fundamentalists running in the Republican primary! All of whom were simply using "Christian moral values" as a smokescreen for what they truly value; deregulation of everything in America and the world where the extremely wealthy, as well as Big Bad Bankster, NA in every major corporation, get to do as they please. Stepping all over everyone else here in the United, but Divided States of America they consider to be "lazy" and beneath them.

I really like the tenants as well but for me being an old school Satanist, compassion is great but I cannot show it to everyone, it is reserved for those that I deem deserving of it.   For example, if a man kidnaps and rapes a child or if I help someone with food because they are hungry and they aren't grateful -neither of these people will get my empathy or compassion again, they lost it.   I would consider them to be ingrates.   

And the tenant of being inspired to be noble in thought and deed....This is a nice idea to strive for perhaps but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, this is where lesser magic comes in, manipulating people and situations to your advantage.   Being a scoundrel sometimes is the best course of action because it will be what benefits you most long term.    :)

I am new to the boards but not new to TST.   I am around on Facebook and follow Jex, Lucien and Lilith.   and others from time to time....I have yet to find out stances on Ritual and Magic which to me (for me) are central to my practices as a Satanist.   And No I do not believe Magic is anything more than psychological or physiological but still....

I will keep reading.

I do support TST, I think that You/we are doing fantastic, a message is being sent that we are here and we are not leaving.   Every little victory is a step towards more victories and I have never been more proud to call myself a Satanist then when I see what TST is doing...

:)

Xrossbow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:55 AM »
I can't remember what pushed me away from LeVeyan Satanism more, the 7th Satanic Rule of the Earth, or the social Darwinism.

The TST tenet about using science and reason is essentially what got me to even consider joining a religion. I hadn't seen any other religion that was totally compatible with skepticism before.

Magic in Satanism is psychological and physiological.   When a Satanist goes into their ritual chamber, we are to suspend reality and let whatever happens, happen, let the energies flow--but when we come out of Ritual we are to leave that there and return to our normal lives.   There is nothing supernatural about Magic.   Greater Magic is any ritual---To some Satanists this is merely play acting, performance but for some its more serious endeavors, I know when I go into ritual I get real results--I am not there just for play acting..

Lesser magic is manipulation of people and circumstances to get what we want or need in life.   I consider myself a MASTER Manipulator...   So it makes perfect sense, This works and if you do not believe or you deny its power (because it is psychology)  then you will lose belief in it.   and it wont work anymore.

Alex Black

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »

Magic in Satanism is psychological and physiological.   When a Satanist goes into their ritual chamber, we are to suspend reality and let whatever happens, happen, let the energies flow--but when we come out of Ritual we are to leave that there and return to our normal lives.   There is nothing supernatural about Magic.   Greater Magic is any ritual---To some Satanists this is merely play acting, performance but for some its more serious endeavors, I know when I go into ritual I get real results--I am not there just for play acting..

Lesser magic is manipulation of people and circumstances to get what we want or need in life.   I consider myself a MASTER Manipulator...   So it makes perfect sense, This works and if you do not believe or you deny its power (because it is psychology)  then you will lose belief in it.   and it wont work anymore.

Ah! That bit at the end makes the 7th rule make much more sense. I'm still not a fan, but it at least makes sense, now.

When I first found out about CoS, though, I had no clue that (most?) CoS members don't believe in literal magic in a supernatural sense, so I thought it was talking about occult/magic/woo stuff, which I just can't take seriously without credible evidence. I do quite like the idea of ritual as affecting psychology, but I don't like calling it magic, mostly because it would probably be confused with the supernatural magic idea.

When I was looking into TST, the idea that religion need not involve supernatural belief of any kind just blew my mind, and I instantly became fascinated with it, especially in conjunction with the tenet about about science. If I'd realized the CoS had a similar stance when I was first learning about it, I probably would not have dismissed it so readily.

Samuel Inez

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 09:21:23 PM »
Good afternoon
I have recently become an official member of TST, and this is also my first post. I choose to be a member because of their positive stance on women's reproduction rights, separation of Church and State, freedom of and from religion, openness to all genders, and also there is a type of class that I'm attracted too. I believe TST will continue to make a huge impact in today's culture.

Xrossbow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 03:18:46 AM »

Ah! That bit at the end makes the 7th rule make much more sense. I'm still not a fan, but it at least makes sense, now.

When I first found out about CoS, though, I had no clue that (most?) CoS members don't believe in literal magic in a supernatural sense, so I thought it was talking about occult/magic/woo stuff, which I just can't take seriously without credible evidence. I do quite like the idea of ritual as affecting psychology, but I don't like calling it magic, mostly because it would probably be confused with the supernatural magic idea.

When I was looking into TST, the idea that religion need not involve supernatural belief of any kind just blew my mind, and I instantly became fascinated with it, especially in conjunction with the tenet about about science. If I'd realized the CoS had a similar stance when I was first learning about it, I probably would not have dismissed it so readily.

Being raised Pagan helps.

I have no issue with calling it Magic. 

:)   

I spirit dance to raise energy, use herbs and incense and blood and sweat to bring about change which is one popular definition of Magic  :)      It just works as a term for me...what bothers me about COS (among other things)   is that they believe in some supernaturalism-They call it supernormal.   Which is really a made up word for the supernatural.   They believe in ghosts and the afterlife, Esp, Psychics, some actually believe in real magic..   It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and its why I have always said I am Independent.  I am probably more of a TST type Satanist then I allow myself to know   :D   

jdw89

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 04:53:24 PM »
Personally I don't like the idea in the COS where it's basically the "strong" are better and fuck the weak, destroy them, etc. That is probably my main issue with COS ideals.

Xrossbow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2016, 08:04:32 PM »
I guess I need to go back and read my Satanic Bible but I do not know of any place where COS has said to destroy the weak....It does say that the strong shall survive, the weak shall either become strong or die off which is just common sense to me but Satanism says to help people, do charity work, etc if it makes you feel good to do so, we are our own Gods and get to decide what is right for us, what makes us happy, what makes our corner of the world a better place....

It says to destroy our enemies though.

I personally follow the 9 Satanic Tenants and agree with 5 ?    of the Satanic Temple Tenants...though I am confused on #1 still.   but I will figure this all out....as I said, I could be mistaken and you could be correct but I do not think so....been in Satanism since I was 19 so nearly 25 years and I have never heard any texts or interviews that said to kill all of the weak or poor people   :)

Rakem

• Glad to be among friends!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2016, 03:34:43 PM »
As stated above, when I read the Satanic Bible I didn't see anything about destroying the weak or the poor. What I did see, though, is their idea that only the strong should survive, and only the intelligent as well. While I agree with the second part, some people are honestly not in a position to do anything about their lot in life. It's these people that TST encourages compassion and empathy for, and that's what brought me here.
I'm fairly certain I'm the youngest person on this forum.

jdw89

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »
I guess I need to go back and read my Satanic Bible but I do not know of any place where COS has said to destroy the weak....It does say that the strong shall survive, the weak shall either become strong or die off which is just common sense to me but Satanism says to help people, do charity work, etc if it makes you feel good to do so, we are our own Gods and get to decide what is right for us, what makes us happy, what makes our corner of the world a better place....

It says to destroy our enemies though.

I personally follow the 9 Satanic Tenants and agree with 5 ?    of the Satanic Temple Tenants...though I am confused on #1 still.   but I will figure this all out....as I said, I could be mistaken and you could be correct but I do not think so....been in Satanism since I was 19 so nearly 25 years and I have never heard any texts or interviews that said to kill all of the weak or poor people   :)
Fuck the weak was my interpretation, but it basically wants you to let them die out for themselves and there is no need to help them because only the strong survive. It's essentially not having compassion or care for those people.

On top of this is the whole matter of elitism inside of the COS. If you don't have material success or worth in life then basically you aren't a Satanist or can't be one in their eyes, not only that but anyone apart of TST to them, is not considered a Satanist.

41_6e_61

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2016, 10:01:47 PM »
A lot of the LaVeyans I see posting on the internet seem to be really self centered, selfish, rude pricks. It's quite off putting.

I think the TST tenants are excellent, and I think their political engagement is incredibly great. It's what has drawn me to The Satanic Temple.

Alchemist16AD

• Embrace The Black Rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2016, 01:40:51 AM »
Well I am a LaVeyian, Luciferian, Member of the TST of course, and I understand.  I don't think I am a prick yet I leave that up to others my own opinion of myself maybe biased. lol

Welcome to the list.
Forged from wisdom, crafted from knowledge, a product of intelligence, raised by ignorance and stupidly. -Myself .

41_6e_61

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2016, 12:25:42 PM »
Hello Alchemist16AD, nice to meet you. Can I call you Alchemist? You can call me Ana. 

Though I haven't met many thus far, I must say you are the nicest LaVeyan I have met. Nice to make your acquaintance.

Cheers!

Alchemist16AD

• Embrace The Black Rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
Hello Alchemist16AD, nice to meet you. Can I call you Alchemist? You can call me Ana. 

Though I haven't met many thus far, I must say you are the nicest LaVeyan I have met. Nice to make your acquaintance.

Cheers!

Yes Alchemist or Alch either if fine. Nice to meet you Ana ever wish to talk p.m me. Well I became a member of LaVeyan back in 70's my choice was the major God religions. Or wicca or some other white light wishy washer shit. Or Theist Satanism and to me that was just as bad as being Christian. (not that I have a problem with others who are theists it's just not for me.  I mean if TST would of been out back then and I had net back then maybe I would of went with t.s.t frist then on to the others. Yet I study the occult. I hope to find out one day if magic is real and an the science behind it.
Forged from wisdom, crafted from knowledge, a product of intelligence, raised by ignorance and stupidly. -Myself .