Author Topic: Tenets of the Satanic Temple  (Read 14861 times)

TST Forum Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tenets of the Satanic Temple
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »
There are seven fundamental tenets.

One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.

The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.

Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.

People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.

Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

DR_PAUL_666

• not your typical physician, member #797
    • View Profile
Re: Tenets of the Satanic Temple
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »
Hey everyone, I just got my poster of the tenets from the online store. It looks darn good. Going to get it framed up this weekend!
Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

wank

• Sail Hatin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »
I have some personal objects to the word and notion of 'justice' - can somebody elaborate on the specific meaning of that concept here?

Mooneater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:47:44 PM »
It might be helpful if you specified and elaborated on the objections you mentioned that you have, preferably—I would assume—in the philosophical discussion forum.
I call them out and charge them all
With a life that is a lie,
And in their final hour
They shall confess before they die.

"Warriors of the World United" Manowar (2002)

Omnia cognitio est.

wank

• Sail Hatin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
Okay, I've started another thread, please chime in: http://thefriendsofsatan.com/index.php?topic=66.0

nathan-bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 06:25:35 PM »
One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
-   But whose reason should one act in accordance.  Satan teaches to live a life in the spirit of oneself, and to make oneself happy; thus, the reason one should act in accordance with is one’s own. 

The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
-   We all have our struggles for personal justice, and they should prevail over all laws and institutions.  However, we must act within those confines to preserve our personal happiness, or else we are punishing ourselves for our Pride rather than satisfying our need for justice.

-   How we choose to wear our bodies is a personal choice, but to consider the body inviolable is to only consider personal preference rather than the evil that is at work attempting to satisfy itself. 

The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
-   When a person chooses to violate a freedom of another, it locks them into a moral code which stipulates the person may not violate it either.  For every freedom we oppress, it is a freedom we choose to give up as well.

Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
-   I have never taken a view at the religion of Scientology, but would like to for me to better understand this Tenet. 

People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
-   All mistakes in which we believe to be must be made right, because an action holds us to a code unless we stipulate that it was a mistake. 

Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
-   Every person can be noble in action and thought, and it is through actions of personal preference in which we should be judged rather than what we say or write. 

Damien Ba'al

• View Profile
    • The Satanic Temple St. Louis
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 09:56:41 PM »
It sounds like you do not understand TST at all. It is different from the Satanism you are used to.

kolberey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 02:46:17 AM »
-   But whose reason should one act in accordance.  Satan teaches to live a life in the spirit of oneself, and to make oneself happy; thus, the reason one should act in accordance with is one’s own.
[EYK] I think you are confusing different versions of Satanism. Reason implies logic, and taking into account circumstances. We share the planet with people and other creatures. Acting with compassion and empathy allows co-existence. In other words, if you do not reason compassion and empathy into your relationship with people/animals, you end up living on your own (or getting taken out by diseases/natural disasters/other people who suffer from lack of compassion/empathy. Thus "reason" dictates, that in your self interest, you need to apply compassion and empathy towards others around you.

-   We all have our struggles for personal justice, and they should prevail over all laws and institutions.  However, we must act within those confines to preserve our personal happiness, or else we are punishing ourselves for our Pride rather than satisfying our need for justice.

-   How we choose to wear our bodies is a personal choice, but to consider the body inviolable is to only consider personal preference rather than the evil that is at work attempting to satisfy itself.
[EYK] The idea that ones body is inviolable is that no-one else can decide for you what you do with it. Whether or not you breed, abort, or terminate your own life.

-   When a person chooses to violate a freedom of another, it locks them into a moral code which stipulates the person may not violate it either.  For every freedom we oppress, it is a freedom we choose to give up as well.

-   I have never taken a view at the religion of Scientology, but would like to for me to better understand this Tenet. 

-   All mistakes in which we believe to be must be made right, because an action holds us to a code unless we stipulate that it was a mistake. 

-   Every person can be noble in action and thought, and it is through actions of personal preference in which we should be judged rather than what we say or write.

RationalEccentric

• Ladies don't start fights, but we can finish them!
    • View Profile
    • Casey Pierce Fiction
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 10:52:06 AM »
nathan-bryant:  I would NOT suggest looking to the religion of Scientology to better understand the tenet "beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world" - I mean, unless you are looking for a good example of how NOT to follow it.  In spite of its name, The Church of Scientology is a thoroughly pseudo-scientific, cult-like organization that believes humans are immortal, omniscient beings called "thetans" that have forgotten their true nature.  Personally, I find the vast majority of their claims ridiculous.
"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're right.' If you don't have that, if you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated." -Alinsky

lezbelle123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 01:15:41 AM »
I actually like the Satanic Temple's Tenets, as they all seem to make sense. The one thing I'll question would be what is meant by "Compassion"? This in the sense of that one cannot live their life, as in something as simple as talking loudly on a cell phone in public, in a store like Walmart, for example (something my Republican-voting sister feels is wrong, she, in many ways, still being the good little Catholic schoolgirl she was raised as when she went to Catholic school).

However, I guess compassion can also be seen in another way altogether. Many of these so-called "Christians" talk the talk about Christian compassion. (Christians, whom I now call Constantianians, as it was the Roman Emperor, Constantine, who invented the concept of "Christianity" and the phantasmagorical illusion many Americans call "Jesus Christ"; the character, Jesus, probably having been derived from some wayward rabbi called Yeshua-a Jewish radical who was crucified for his own "sins" of being a troublemaker) However, and this I say after spending 2 1/2 years homeless, many of these so-called Christians are not necessarily "compassionate" to those whose lifestyles, or styles of dress, for that matter, they do not approve of!

I first got into Satanism years ago after reading Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible. That and from listening to heavy metal and/or Goth music; you know, stuff like Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Metallica, all that stuff. That and, after moving to Florida and going to many these 12-step meetings, meetings that were often dominated by these annoying "Born-again Christians", many whom often impart their so-called "Superior moral values" in the sense of how, supposedly, "Profanity is not a sign of spiritual growth" signs posted on the walls of the meeting places, it only made me hate Christians all the more, in general, anyway. This because I saw their religion as oppressive to everyone who does not agree with their so-called "morals" and "values"!

However, I do not agree with everything Anton LaVey says (or Nietzsche, for that matter). That said, I shall translate that meaning of compassion to mean everything that presidential hopeful, Bernie Sanders-Independent senator from Vermont, USA said today about how America has become an oligarchy, rather than a democracy. I'm sure he was referring to our lovely "Christian" fundamentalists running in the Republican primary! All of whom were simply using "Christian moral values" as a smokescreen for what they truly value; deregulation of everything in America and the world where the extremely wealthy, as well as Big Bad Bankster, NA in every major corporation, get to do as they please. Stepping all over everyone else here in the United, but Divided States of America they consider to be "lazy" and beneath them.
Cheryl

Lilith201

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:28:09 AM »
I actually like the Satanic Temple's Tenets, as they all seem to make sense. The one thing I'll question would be what is meant by "Compassion"? This in the sense of that one cannot live their life, as in something as simple as talking loudly on a cell phone in public, in a store like Walmart, for example (something my Republican-voting sister feels is wrong, she, in many ways, still being the good little Catholic schoolgirl she was raised as when she went to Catholic school).

However, I guess compassion can also be seen in another way altogether. Many of these so-called "Christians" talk the talk about Christian compassion. (Christians, whom I now call Constantianians, as it was the Roman Emperor, Constantine, who invented the concept of "Christianity" and the phantasmagorical illusion many Americans call "Jesus Christ"; the character, Jesus, probably having been derived from some wayward rabbi called Yeshua-a Jewish radical who was crucified for his own "sins" of being a troublemaker) However, and this I say after spending 2 1/2 years homeless, many of these so-called Christians are not necessarily "compassionate" to those whose lifestyles, or styles of dress, for that matter, they do not approve of!

I first got into Satanism years ago after reading Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible. That and from listening to heavy metal and/or Goth music; you know, stuff like Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Metallica, all that stuff. That and, after moving to Florida and going to many these 12-step meetings, meetings that were often dominated by these annoying "Born-again Christians", many whom often impart their so-called "Superior moral values" in the sense of how, supposedly, "Profanity is not a sign of spiritual growth" signs posted on the walls of the meeting places, it only made me hate Christians all the more, in general, anyway. This because I saw their religion as oppressive to everyone who does not agree with their so-called "morals" and "values"!

However, I do not agree with everything Anton LaVey says (or Nietzsche, for that matter). That said, I shall translate that meaning of compassion to mean everything that presidential hopeful, Bernie Sanders-Independent senator from Vermont, USA said today about how America has become an oligarchy, rather than a democracy. I'm sure he was referring to our lovely "Christian" fundamentalists running in the Republican primary! All of whom were simply using "Christian moral values" as a smokescreen for what they truly value; deregulation of everything in America and the world where the extremely wealthy, as well as Big Bad Bankster, NA in every major corporation, get to do as they please. Stepping all over everyone else here in the United, but Divided States of America they consider to be "lazy" and beneath them.

I was unaware that Christianity was opposed to talking on cell phones in public. Which biblical verse is that?
I don't think the vast majority of "goth" musicians are Satanists. I think they are posing to try to look rebellious. There have been a few heavy metal bands in Scandinavia who I think really were Satanists, but I don't think they practiced the TST kind of Satanism. I think they were nihilists.
I wish Bernie Sanders was Satanic but I don't think he is. However I do plan on voting for him.
"Ain't no burning hell."--John Lee Hooker

blackrosefencer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 04:11:30 PM »

I was unaware that Christianity was opposed to talking on cell phones in public. Which biblical verse is that?

I don't think that is an example of compassion. Someone talking loudly on their phones in public for everyone to hear is just really rude....especially if they're in line at the cashier. Just talking on your phone is one thing, but being loud and obnoxious is really annoying. I don't need to hear people's conversations and seriously, why would someone want the entire store to hear their conversation anyway? Just take it to the car or, better yet, call that person back later in the privacy of your own home.

I don't think the vast majority of "goth" musicians are Satanists. I think they are posing to try to look rebellious. There have been a few heavy metal bands in Scandinavia who I think really were Satanists, but I don't think they practiced the TST kind of Satanism. I think they were nihilists.

Yeah, I don't think there are too many heavy metal bands that actually "get" Satanism. Many of them either think of Satanism as devil worship as many people do....or they use Satan according to the xian interpretation. Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden....they're awesome bands, don't get me wrong! But not Satanic. They definitely sing about Satan in some songs....but just mentioning Satan doesn't make a band Satanic. Dream Evil is a great power metal band from Sweden. They have this song called "Evilution" and some of the lyrics are "Hail Satan. Hail Me." Very Satanic lyrics, but the band is not Satanic. So I would say that just because they mention Satan or mention Satanism, that doesn't inherently mean they are Satanists themselves or they are Satanic.

And if they are Satanic then they're not practicing TST's Satanism as Lillith said. I got the feeling, for example, that Behemoth's new album, "The Satanist" was more in line with LaVeyan Satanism. "O Father, O Satan, O Sun" is an awesome song and my favorite from the album, but it very much felt like a prayer to Satan when I listened to it...the idea of prayer and worship is not Satanic in the least. So just because a band is made up of people who identify as Satanists doesn't necessarily mean they intended to be Satanic in their music. I believe Wikipedia lists Behemoth as Black Metal, not Satanic Metal. That being said, there is a whole genre supposedly called "Satanic Metal," but most people don't use the word "Satanic" to mean the same thing that a Satanist uses it to mean. Although, there is one band where the band member is an ordained priest at the CoS....so maybe there are some that are in line with how a Satanist would use the word "Satanic" (don't know, haven't heard them). But many people just lump bands that sing about Satan in with the "Satanic Metal" genre. 

LokiSataere

• Cogito Ergo sumthin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
Yeah, I don't think there are too many heavy metal bands that actually "get" Satanism. Many of them either think of Satanism as devil worship as many people do....or they use Satan according to the xian interpretation. Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden....they're awesome bands, don't get me wrong! But not Satanic. They definitely sing about Satan in some songs....but just mentioning Satan doesn't make a band Satanic. Dream Evil is a great power metal band from Sweden. They have this song called "Evilution" and some of the lyrics are "Hail Satan. Hail Me." Very Satanic lyrics, but the band is not Satanic. So I would say that just because they mention Satan or mention Satanism, that doesn't inherently mean they are Satanists themselves or they are Satanic.

Agreed, many of the artists use Satan as an illustrative point, not as a personal worship sense (like Slayer, where Tom Araya has admitted most of it is in reaction to his Catholic upbringing).  Even Glen Benton of Deicide has explained he largely is an Atheistic Satanist who used the imagery as a social weapon for shock.

There are a few, though, and a couple of the most openly public artists in the media, are Ricktor Ravensbrück of The Electric Hellfire Club and Wolfpack 44, Sammy Duet of Goatwhore (who I recall, perhaps incorrectly, seeing a pic on social media as hanging with Lucien at once point)...

One band that doesn't get a lot of notice for their Satanic identification are the dark pop-punk band Alkaline Trio.

I got the feeling, for example, that Behemoth's new album, "The Satanist" was more in line with LaVeyan Satanism. "O Father, O Satan, O Sun" is an awesome song and my favorite from the album, but it very much felt like a prayer to Satan when I listened to it...the idea of prayer and worship is not Satanic in the least.

Behemoth's album seems more like a narrative of an individual exploration of falling from Christianity.  So many past albums were more rooted in Western Hermeticism, ancient Middle Eastern religion, and broad Old Testament concepts, that I really don't see Nergal as aligned with anything other than a personal spirituality that he's been exploring through study of various non-Christian religious material.  Plus, it's interesting seeing the spoken portion of "In the Abscence Ov Light" where it states (translated to English):

I trust not any abstraction.
I believe not in god nor mind…
enough with these gods.
Give me a human.

So just because a band is made up of people who identify as Satanists doesn't necessarily mean they intended to be Satanic in their music.

Agreed.  If self-identification of an artist defined the music, then Sammy Davis Jr is "Satanic music"
"I always think I've got it all figured out. Then I live another day and it gets more complicated." - Scud the Disposable Assassin

None More Bitter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »

That's one way to look at the tenets. This is how I interpreted them.

-Act in accordance with neutral, unbiased reasoning and try to understand deeply the struggles going on in the world around you, and do something about them.

-Struggle for neutral, unbiased justice. Do whatever is necessary, for anyone- not just yourself, even if it makes your life more difficult for a time.

-You are in control of your own body and only you can decide what happens to it; no one owns you and no one has a right to you.

-People have the right to insult you and you have the right to insult them. Don't try to silence those who oppose you.

-I hope you were joking about that Scientology stuff.

-Mistakes don't wait for you to specify within yourself that you made a mistake. Do whatever is necessary to fix your mistakes when you create them.

-Doing what is right has greater value than writing or talking about doing what is right.
I think things about stuff.

Dr. Shell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
Newbie here. Is there any chance of a ST in the next decade or so in East TN?
Great tenets that I've tried to live by for as long as I can remember; it's not as easy as it may appear, and they are deceptive in their simplicity.
Thanks.