Author Topic: Satanic Temple Club  (Read 521 times)

Amy-Kali

• View Profile
Satanic Temple Club
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Hi everyone! I go to a somewhat conservative Northern California high school and I'm getting tired of Christian teachers shoving religion down students' throats. Seriously, my Calculus teacher went off on a twenty minute rant about how the education system is flawed because Christian morals aren't taught and imposed upon students.Also, there is organized prayer before school in the courtyard by the Christian Club (which is weird as none of the other religious clubs have organized such an event, even though some of them made requests to do so).  So, I was thinking about forming a Satanist Club or something (similar to the After-School Satan Club, but for teenagers). There are other religious clubs here, but they aren't very active (except for the Christian Club). So, how should I go about this? Also, have any of you experienced something similar? If so, how did you go about resolving it?

beatdaddio

• View Profile
Re: Satanic Temple Club
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:54:49 PM »
You can send messages to the ACLU and the Freedom From Religion Foundation, telling them in detail about the religious indoctrination in your school, and ask if they can help.

To start a club, talk to your school administration to see if they will allow you to use a classroom or study hall for meetings on a regular basis.  This may require some sneaky language, maybe telling them it is a philosophy club or a social science club.  If they will not allow it, then identify some other place you can use.  A coffee shop, park picnic table, covered basketball court, or even a bus stop just across the street from the school. Pick a time that you can personally be there each week, and spread the word. 

For meeting activities, you could just bitch about what jerks the religious teachers are, or you could have projects that foster free thought, such as sharing mind-opening books, movies, and music, or working on your debate skills.  You can bring in a clipping of a thought-provoking statement about free thought, free expression, or oppression, and open it up for discussion about that statement.

Be sure to learn your rights, both on school premises and off, so you can assert those rights whenever a teacher, administrator, or bully tries to shut you down.
Now more than ever.

Amy-Kali

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »
I'll try to contact the ACLU, but that might prove to be difficult, as my parents aren't in on this. I have been trying recruit some of my friends, with mixed results. Now when I think about it, I agree that the whole "Satanic" club should be dropped. Thanks for all the help and I'll keep on posting in this thread about the progress.

Maha Kali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 03:00:37 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I think opening up an openly "Satanic" club for students would also be opening whoever's involved to bullying and other forms of persecution, possibly to the point of violence, that just wouldn't make it worth it, given the Christian climate of your school. Kids are a lot more cruel these days than they used to be, and something like that would be a lot more feasible and enjoyable once you get to college, if you plan to go (those places are bastions of liberalism these days, so I'm doubtful there'd be many problems at that point).

Until then, maybe it would be MORE fun to have a secret Satanic club. When I was growing up, long before I got into the LHP, I heard rumors of a satanic club somewhere in the middle of the woods where I live that made use of a shack in the middle of nowhere. While I never found this alleged meeting place (if it ever even existed) the mere notion of it was very fascinating. The obscurity and mystery of it at the time made it appealing to at least explore if not embrace. I think keeping these kinds of elements in the practice of anything satanic is important. You could find and arrange a similar type of place if you have some woods nearby where you could perform dark rituals around a campfire or something.  I don't think it should necessarily be "flung in everyone's face" in full public view because it detracts from the allure of the forbidden and the underground.