Author Topic: Are the "Black Brothers" in Thelema supposed to be Satanists?  (Read 440 times)

Xymox

• Child of Iblis
    • View Profile
In Liber ABA, Book Four, Parts I-IV, Aleister Crowley says:

"The Devil does not exist. It is a false name invented by the Black Brothers to imply a Unity in their ignorant muddle of dispersions. A devil who had unity would be a God... 'The Devil' is, historically, the God of any people that one personally dislikes... This serpent, SATAN, is not the enemy of Man, but He who made Gods of our race, knowing Good and Evil; He bade 'Know Thyself!' and taught Initiation. He is 'The Devil' of The Book of Thoth, and His emblem is BAPHOMET, the Androgyne who is the hieroglyph of arcane perfection... He is therefore Life, and Love. But moreover his letter is ayin, the Eye, so that he is Light; and his Zodiacal image is Capricornus, that leaping goat whose attribute is Liberty."

In other places I've read, it seems that the "Black Brothers" are described as people whose philosophy is based on their ego and cultivation of the self, i.e. the Left Hand Path. That being said, the last 3 times I've been to an OTO Gnostic Mass, the priest, priestess, and deacon all said that being a Thelemite does not preclude being a Satanist.

Anyone ever been in the OTO? What was your experience as a Satanist within it? They really wanna initiate me and think a Satanist in their ranks would be a great addition to their local lodge, but the fact of the matter is I'm not giving up the LHP for anything. Thoughts? Experiences?

beatdaddio

• View Profile
Re: Are the "Black Brothers" in Thelema supposed to be Satanists?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »
One time a student of mystical philosophy was rowing a boat near a small island.  On the island a person in a black robe was chanting "Zod is Great, Zod is Great".

The student rowed to shore and accosted the black-robed person, saying "how dare you utter such blasphemy, mispronouncing the name of God, did no-one ever teach you how to pray God is Great correctly? You will never see the light if you cannot perform the ritual according to custom!"

The student then rowed away, satisfied that he had set the fool straight, and that he had done a good holy deed.

A minute later the black-robed person walked up to him, across the water, and said "pardon me, could you tell me the correct pronunciation again?"
Now more than ever.

Xymox

• Child of Iblis
    • View Profile
Re: Are the "Black Brothers" in Thelema supposed to be Satanists?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
Ha ha!

Actually so I talked to some OTO buddies after last night's Spring Equinox Liber XV Gnostic Mass about the whole "Black Brothers" and "the Abyss". Short and short of it, don't be an asshole and don't let your ego make you fall into what we Satanists would call Satanic Sin #4: self-deceipt. And of course, Uncle Al had to say it in a super goofy gobbledygook way so of course it's easy to misinterpret (if interpret at all). Both LHPers and RHPers can fall into "the Abyss", just do your True Will, get your hustle, and you do you.

And that's as Satanic as you can be!