Author Topic: What is the "final goal" of satanism?  (Read 474 times)

Moonlight

• View Profile
    • Suspense Band
What is the "final goal" of satanism?
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about the role of TST in the humanity, and I have some doubts. Is satanism supposed to be a temporary thing? Is it just a reaction to the abuses that come from religions? If the churches stop to do insane things, then the mission of satanism will be done, and we can just be considered normal atheists and agnostics?
I've been thinking about union. Is it our goal to unite all the humanity in compassion? Because at the moment, we're kind of doing a 'war', with the After School Satan, protests, Baphomet Statues, etc, right? But our 'final goal' is not about that, is it?

beatdaddio

• View Profile
Re: What is the "final goal" of satanism?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 11:58:20 PM »
For as long as humanity has existed, there have been power struggles, and for much of that time there has also been abuse of power, and oppression.  Also as long as humanity has existed there has been superstition: irrational stories we tell ourselves and each other to explain the things we don't understand, usually based in fear.

Satanism, broadly speaking, pushes back against those abuses of power and superstitions.  Sure, you could posit a utopian future in which nobody is oppressed and nobody prays to god, or uses god as an excuse for oppression; but how likely is that to ever come to pass?

Maybe in a thousand years Satanism will become irrelevant.  But not only is that unlikely due to human nature, I would also argue that Satanism will continue to change over time.  Just look at the difference 48 years has made.

Idries Shah explains that teachers must adapt their teaching to the student at hand, so that the meaning and purpose is not lost.  When students just copy ritual chants and gestures from the past, they are wasting their time with superstition.  So the "final goal" of Satanism must always be fluid, changing with the times, and changing with the specific issues and people of the day, and adapted to the needs of the individual.

For one person in one context, it is necessary to learn and practice compassion and unity.  For another person and context, it is war and rebellion.  Both are valid facets of Satanism.
Now more than ever.

dkazny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 04:34:20 AM »
Satanism as defined by LaVey—basically a "fuck you, dad!" reaction to Christianity—may become irrelevant, but TST  is not a LaVeyan organization.  Contemporary Satanism is an atheistic religion that stands independently of the existence or not of other religions, with an ethos all its own.  We'll never reach a state where the human existence is perfect, but Satanists can continually strive to nudge things in that direction.

I highly recommend reading Benjamin Awesome's "Toward a New Satanic Ethos" for a deep and insightful delve into Satanism as TST has defined it.

Moonlight

• View Profile
    • Suspense Band
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
Thanks for the book recommendation, I'm reading it and loving it :D

dkazny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
You're welcome!  The author is active on this forum. Drop him a line if you have any feedback.

beatdaddio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »
Yes, I bought that e-book last week, and I'm appreciating it quite a bit.  It covers the tenets in a thoughtful and fairly complete and balanced manner.  I'd recommend it as a "TST 101" text.  In fact I'd love to see printed copies of it in a nice little booklet form for handing out at TST events.  The only hangup of course is getting Benjamin paid adequately.
Now more than ever.

dkazny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
^^  Agreed

Benjamin T. Awesome

• View Profile
    • My Medium
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
Hey, glad you all are enjoying the book. I was hoping it would fill the sort of "TST 101" gap that was out there, so it's nice to hear it being discussed along those lines. FYI, I do some writing at Medium as well, such as this piece about the color of hellfire. Regarding physical copies of 'Toward a New Satanic Ethos,' I've thought about it, and some other people have requested it, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet. I'm not the greatest believer in the mass production of paper but, I guess books are among the more noble uses for paper if we have to keep producing it.

Regarding the subject of this thread, I agree that the final goal of Satanism, in my opinion, is to make itself irrelevant. If there were no religious injustice in the world, maybe the Satanic Temple would not need to exist such as it does today. Perhaps it could still be an important and valuable community for various reasons, though.

dkazny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
A friend of mine had a good experience using Lulu to self-publish.  In case you're looking for print version ideas.