Author Topic: College  (Read 367 times)

Calc

College
« on: February 08, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
Hey everyone! I know I haven't posted in awhile, and I'm sorry.
Anyway, I recently started a program at my local community college and its great. Like, there's so much cultural diversity and its great to meet new people as well. However, I've been getting picked on a lot. I don't to complain about it, but in a wholly secular program (most of my peers are atheists) it can be a bit unnerving. A few people are Christians and frequently harass me and bully me for being a Satanist. I don't really care about other people's religious denominations, unless they affect me personally-which they usually don't. But some of my close friends have begun to alienate me (my friend told me that if I wore any satanic jewellry around him that I would have to exit his apartment!). Sorry for the rant, but I have one question after all of this: If you have been subject to discrimination based on being a Satanist, how did you deal with it? If you became ostricized, what was your solution?

Thanks!  ;D

ClovenMischief

• View Profile
Re: College
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
No offense, but sounds like those aren't really your 'friends'. lol
Or that you need better ones.

Just an option from personal experience:
Be business. Do not give them an emotional pedestal to stand above you.

Even when people are shunning or harassing you they still need your reaction to feel above you, they want to see you feel whether it be disappointed, annoyed, or angry. If you don't give them that satisfaction they can't siphon off of you because you have nothing to give.
If they harass you to your face simply be apathetic to them and most of all be the adult, it makes them feel insignificant when you talk business back to them as if they said nothing. "I'm doing this part of the project, what part are you going to do?"
Place finger to your lips to shush them, "This could be on the test." (if the teacher/professor is talking)
If they didn't catch the hint to move on, YOU move on to the next person. If there is no other person you can take it to the teacher and explain that your partner does not wish to properly cooperate on the project (or whatever you're doing together) due to his prejudice of your religion and you request to change partners.
If not in a class or group setting you can simply keep walking and do not give them any reaction.
In a way you have to alienate yourself, but the farther you get from the bad people the wider range of good people you will meet. Remember that "a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet." You're in college now. Meet new people, as many as possible, be spontaneous. You'll find the good eggs out of the rotting dozen.

Take or leave, may not work for you, don't know you in your shoes. This is just what worked for me.
I studied all that was most Good and found all that was most Evil.
I studied all that was most Evil and found all that was most Good.

beatdaddio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 12:07:37 AM »
Agreed with Cloven.  Also, from my perspective, the only reason to wear external signs and symbols is if you want people to identify you by them and engage with you about them.  If you are not prepared to defend yourself (verbally or otherwise) from bullies, then you should either relocate yourself to a place where bullies can get penalized for that behavior, or avoid catching their attention.  The same goes for atheists who make unwanted judgments about your chosen religion; either figure out how to respond logically and confidently to their criticism, or keep your beliefs to yourself.
Now more than ever.

Lilith201

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »
Is this college or middle school? More proof that people in general are "younger" today than they were a generation ago.  ???
"Ain't no burning hell."--John Lee Hooker

Calc

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
It's college unfortunately. I do stand up for myself and educate people about TST, I just live in a predominantly christian area. Thank you all for the insight.