Author Topic: Using Religious Exemption for Self Empowerment and Social Justice  (Read 271 times)

41_6e_61

• View Profile
Christians are about to get what they want from Trump; legal discrimination against minorities such as the LGBT, Muslims etc., under the guise of religious freedom.

"Donald Trump vows to 'totally destroy' Johnson Amendment that stops churches funding political parties

Comes as apparent leaked executive order promises to enshrine conservative Christian beliefs in policy...

The declaration came as an apparent leaked draft of a new executive order set out how specific religious beliefs—reflecting conservative Christian social tenets—could become enshrined as executive policy.

They include "the belief that marriage is or should be recognised as the union of one man and one woman, sexual relations are properly reserved for such a marriage, male and female and their equivalents refer to an individual’s immutable biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy, physiology, or genetics at or before birth, and that human life begins at conception and merits protection at all stages of life".

The draft order seeks to protect the tax-exempt status of organisations that propound those beliefs, as well as to block "adverse action" against groups that discriminate, on religious grounds, in the provision of adoption and fostering services. White House spokesman Sean Spicer did not comment on the specifics of the leak."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-destroy-johnson-amendment-religious-freedom-separation-church-state-a7559421.html

We're seeing massive amounts of propaganda from the Trump administration, one of which was the recent statement saying that they would uphold the Obama era LGBT discrimination protections. I guess everyone was supposed to be all, "yeah LGBT rights are safe!" Wrong. Those only apply to Federal workers, and this Executive Order is going to legalize widespread discrimination in the private sector, and possibly also public sector state jobs.

I think The Satanic Temple's adherence to affirmative values is a good thing, so instead of saying "let's now discriminate against Christians", TST is using religious exemption in positive ways, such as female members of TST claiming religious exemption from abortion restrictions like mandatory ultra-sounds.

So far, the basis of this is our third tenet, which states, "One's body is inviolable, subject to one's will alone."

On this note, I will mention that I am going to claim religious exemption, on this basis. It's nothing major, but it's something I am going to do.

I recently started going to a public university in pursuit of a Bachelor's Degree. I previously went to a different one, but that's beside the point. What the point is, is that for admission into the University, I am required to submit immunization records. Now, I've had a whole host of immunization shots for a whole host of diseases, all the standard shots, but I do not have the records, and I do not feel that I should be forced to be immunized again, just to get the records. Therefor, I am claiming religious exemption, on the basis of our third tenet, which is allowable under my state law. It's specifically stated on the form.

Like I said, it's incredibly minor, but it's something I am going to do, because if Christians are going to use religious exemption laws in order to discriminate against people they are bigoted towards, I'm going to claim religious exemption as well, but to empower myself, not to bring others down.

Having said that, I'd like for this thread to be a sort of brain storming deal, where we can put our minds together and find different ways we can use religious exemption for self empowerment and social justice.

For instance, I am not straight. I'm bisexual, and though I am closeted, I am also transgender. In my state (where the wind comes sweeping down the planes), there are allegedly 8 pieces of anti LGBT legislation in the works. One of which is a transgender bathroom bill.

One thing I would like to hash out is how to use religious exemption, in accordance with our tenets, to claim exemption from these bathroom laws. I've unfortunately not yet met in person a fellow member of TST, but I've seen many videos of events and conferences, and I've noticed that there are quite a few trans members of TST, so if trans members can use religious exemption against these bathroom laws, I think it would be a really great thing.

I think the first four tenets could possibly be used in this way, and I'm wondering what other people think, and what other people's ideas are?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:07:38 PM by 41_6e_61 »

beatdaddio

• View Profile
Re: Using Religious Exemption for Self Empowerment and Social Justice
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:58:09 PM »
Hm, this is a tough one.  I don't yet see how any of the tenets would specifically apply to one of the so called bathroom bills.  For example the bathroom is not a part of your body, the way foetal tissue is, and the toilets work the same way in both bathrooms so there's no impact on how you use your body there.  The tenets that we "should" be compassionate and "should" believe in science are great for us, but have no bearing on the actions and legislation of others.  Similarly, just because we declare freedom to express ourselves and respect other people's expressions doesn't say much about where the government will allow us to poop.

Unless we declare that choosing a bathroom, thereby making a statement about gender identity, is in fact "speech", protected by the First Amendment.  It's possible that a lawyer could attempt to convince a judge of that, on a constitutional argument, without any reference to TST.

Maybe TST can start a campaign of staging "poop ins", where we all dress in completely gender-ambiguous manner, and spend all day using all the restrooms at a range of high visibility venues.
Now more than ever.

ClovenMischief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
As a female bodybuilder that looks more and more male each day, I've come to worry about the bathroom bill stuff recently in that I may be wrongfully persecuted. When I was younger I proposed creating large unisex bathrooms under video surveillance and even designed it by hand. I came across one of these designs today and was delighted to find this thread appeared.

Perhaps, if we find fighting such a bill to be unfruitful, demanding such unisex bathroom designs would be an alternative step. I think it would save people space and money when it comes to businesses and shops. No more cramped bathrooms, people can pee safely with the camera in place that would catch anyone trying to harass them. Also, the camera is in no place that would be peering at your junk. I designed it so it'd be mounted in JUST the right place to not see inside stalls nor the men's private urinal area. And the Unisex urinals in the middle are placed so that it only shows the people's backs. I did take into the account of women's makeup needs so there's several sink and mirror lines at a diagonal so the camera still has enough view for their protection if harassed. ALSO, surveillance of the camera wouldn't necessarily have to be watched. It records, so no one would have to look at it unless there was a complaint of harassment and asked to view the tape as evidence. Just another measure of privacy.
Sound like a good idea?

I was also trying to find a way to protect homosexuals (or anyone in LGBT+) under Satanism.
"The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own."
My case is that Human, People, Man, and Mankind within the constitution must be defined by their scientific reasoning. And then people of female and LGBT+ are HUMAN , and thus also 'people' and should be lawfully treated as such without discrimination under the constitution that clearly states they are.
"Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs."
This only strengthens the definition of human, people, and man in the constitution to give indiscriminate rights to all human beings regardless of self-branded titles like gay or lesbian.

Honestly I'm not very smart, more brawn than brain and I'll always be the first to admit that, so if this isn't strong enough to combat denial of rights I'd probably take that cake. But perhaps those with better minds could add to this or come up with something better and that's why I put it out there.
I studied all that was most Good and found all that was most Evil.
I studied all that was most Evil and found all that was most Good.

41_6e_61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 02:08:10 AM »
Legally speaking, How about the second tenet? I think this is a very difficult question right now, because the legally part of legally speaking might be changing drastically very soon. But I think the second tenet most applies.

"The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions."

It is simply unjust to criminalize using the restroom. I think transgender people should exercise civil disobedience against these laws, and claim religious exemption. It is against my religion to be made a criminal for simply using the bathroom. Fuck your law, I'm exempt.