Author Topic: Opinions on church sanctuaries against deportation?  (Read 249 times)

MissCreant

• View Profile
Opinions on church sanctuaries against deportation?
« on: January 12, 2017, 10:31:51 AM »
Here's just one article on the matter https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/donald-trump-undocumented-immigrants-deportation-churches-sanctuary/?client=safari

I don't have any first hand experience with immigration or deportation, so I hesitate to form an opinion on that one way or another. As a secondary issue, though, it does illustrate just another way churches are flouting the law, expecting special treatment, and I thought that may be of interest to fellow TST members.

Do you all have any opinions on whether it's right or wrong for religious organizations to circumvent the laws of the country in which they reside?

beatdaddio

• View Profile
Re: Opinions on church sanctuaries against deportation?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:01 PM »
Laws are just restrictions that are put into place by those in power.  They are not a direct reflection of morality, justice, goodness, or any other aspect of "rightness".  Sure there are laws which do happen to reflect the greater good, such as laws against animal abuse, or laws against reckless driving.  But even in such cases the wording of the law, and the specific penalties written into it, can be turned to a twisted end by puritans, hateful people, reactionaries, and others whose narrow minds require them to pervert everything to fit their little short-sighted world view.  Think about all the thousands of people currently in prison for smoking or possessing a small amount of weed, who once they are finally released find it difficult to get a job or an apartment, and who may never be allowed to vote.

On that basis, it seems anyone should feel it is their right to defy an unjust law.

On the other hand, people use their religion as a defense of their unwillingness to give their children medical care and vaccines, or their unwillingness to do business with people who are the wrong color, sexuality, race, etc.  Those people break the laws in the name of their religion, and personally I enjoy seeing them punished under the law.

So the balance is in which position will be supported by the larger majority of people.  Unfortunately it goes in waves, as we've seen this election cycle.  Those of us that are devoted to progress are seeing a surprisingly large percentage of the population turn toward regression.  But for example the larger majority agrees that children need medical care, so the laws are written to punish those who fail to provide that.  Weed is being legalized in more and more places, as the larger body of opinion shifts.  Gay marriage is now the law of the land, though of course still contested in the more regressive regions.

I would use a church to protect people from being deported, if those people were not otherwise criminals, and had shown good faith in trying to work and live here, especially because I think there would be enough general support for that stance to sustain a legal defense, by which I mean "most people" would agree that it was "right".  I might still end up in jail, because being morally right is not a reliable defense in law.  Individuals need to decide what issues they are willing to pay a price for.
Now more than ever.