Author Topic: What purposes are rituals good for, and how do you design them?  (Read 282 times)

Ahto

• In my infinite ambivalence.
    • View Profile
What purposes are rituals good for, and how do you design them?
« on: December 22, 2016, 02:30:05 PM »
I'm new to the concept of non-superstitious rituals, other than the ones that we all participate in as part of American culture.

So my question is, what are some good uses for rituals, and how do you design a ritual around that use?

For example, the type of ritual I'm most familiar with is one that cements a new reality in your head. A birthday reminds you of your new age, a marriage reminds you of your new status, and New Year's reminds you of the change in year. It's a way of taking something abstract and making it physical, so it's more "real" to you. This kind of ritual is easy to design: Organize a celebration and make sure that everybody knows what it's for. Optionally, you can theme it around the topic.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:17:27 PM by Ahto »

Koldun Black

• Strength through Joy
    • View Profile
    • 13mObscene
Re: What purposes are rituals good for, and how do you design them?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:46:53 PM »
 Ritual can be used, as you have stated, to commemorate events. These kind of rites are fairly straight forward.  Ritual can also be used to self-program as it were, for example to quit smoking one might compose a rite to dedicate oneself to the idea, or to get a better job, or any other thing you might like to solidify with a pledge of sorts. If you havenít already I would recommend the Satanic Bible for the basics. The structure Anton provides is basic, but it will get you going on the idea of using symbolic language and actions to create change.

Ritual design is actually rather easy when it cracks down to it, itís very similar to writing an essay: There needs be an introduction, a body of intent/dedication, and a closing.  A good ritual is a symbolic road map of what you intend to do. Imagination is encouraged, dedication and focus are needed, action is essential afterwards.

If you have an idea on what kind of rite you wish to design I would be happy to help you hash it out.
Let be be finale of seem