Author Topic: Which holidays do you celebrate, and how?  (Read 334 times)

Ahto

• In my infinite ambivalence.
    • View Profile
Which holidays do you celebrate, and how?
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:49:08 AM »
I've been thinking about celebrating the solstices and equinoxes, to cement in my mind the changing of the seasons so I can know immediately "oh yeah, it should be getting colder soon". Similar to how a birthday is to cement your new age into your mind. But I just can't think of a good activity to celebrate with. There isn't much I'd enjoy doing that I don't already do. shrug Maybe I should be more self-denying so I can enjoy special events more. :P

Which holidays do my fellow Satanists celebrate, and what do you do during them?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 06:50:41 AM by Ahto »

RealSpiders

• View Profile
Re: Which holidays do you celebrate, and how?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »
I celebrate christmad mostly because I still live with my parents. Theyre not christian though so its bot super religious in practice its mostly just gift giving and family and not jesus so much. I go yo a uu church where they celebrate the solstace with songs and like, a guy who dresses like 'the forest king' and log burning. I also go see funny christmas plays.

We also celebrate halloween, easter, thanksgiving and others, but idk if you just meant winter hollidays.
Always ready to talk about spiders

TwentyEcho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:28:12 AM »
I'm not very keen on celebrating anything, not even my birthday. The only parties I go to that are associated with a normally observed holiday in North America would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years and increasingly rarely, Easter. Not that I'm filled with [INSERT HOLIDAY] spirit or anything but I'm more or less compelled to go by 20 or so family members and its easier to just go there and be social. I see several fallacies with several holidays that I will answer to if asked at these little gatherings but with these people in my family I don't often bother going out of my way as many are old, and entrenched in their ideals.  I'm not an overly social person, unless talking about ideas and academics or something skill-based, but I don't want 20 phone calls or texts asking where I am.

I do give gifts when its appropriate but its usually books or something else practical. Typically few and far between, though.

In the end, I just kind of go about my life and associate as I deem necessary and as I desire regardless of the time of year.

T J

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:42:03 AM »
Last Spring I observed the Equinox and honored Eostre, Germanic Goddess of the Dawn.  In December I observed the Winter Solstice by playing holiday music for the students at the University of Delaware.  Surprisingly, they did not want to hear sacred Christmas Carols.  The most requested song was "All I Want For Christmas Is You".  Other favorites: Frosty, Rudolph, Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow, White Christmas, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.