Author Topic: A wake-up call for Satanist  (Read 1408 times)

Perseus

• View Profile
A wake-up call for Satanist
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
 I'm glad to be a Satanist. I really enjoy the mental stimulation of something so taboo to others. But that's the thing that many Satanist don't understand. Being a Satanist to a lot of people is much the same as committing murder or some other major sin. So I think yes, be a Satanist. But don't tell your neighbors is the rule. What are your thoughts?

Alchemist16AD

• Embrace The Black Rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: A wake-up call for Satanist
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »
I don't have neighbors. And if I did it wouldn't be their business who or what I was. However I kind of do the whole don't ask don't tell. No I don't hide it. Yet I don't advertise it. But if someone asks. I tell the truth. That's my two cents anyway.
Forged from wisdom, crafted from knowledge, a product of intelligence, raised by ignorance and stupidly. -Myself .

Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:56:05 PM »
 I feel no guilt in lying about it. I'm a firm believer that lies have a justifiable place in a Satanic society. It seems to me to be a question as to where your truths come from. And where do your lies come from. I don't always lie , but when I do it seems to me to be justified.

Alchemist16AD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:25:31 PM »
I feel no guilt in lying about it. I'm a firm believer that lies have a justifiable place in a Satanic society. It seems to me to be a question as to where your truths come from. And where do your lies come from. I don't always lie , but when I do it seems to me to be justified.

I have no problems lying. Yet only when I need to. And I feel no guilt doing so. I just have no reason to about being a Satanist. But then I don't live in the bible belt.
Forged from wisdom, crafted from knowledge, a product of intelligence, raised by ignorance and stupidly. -Myself .

Benjamin T. Awesome

• View Profile
    • My Medium
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:06:05 PM »
I guess it depends entirely on where you live and who your neighbors are. My neighbors could not give a shit less about my business, so I don't care if they know. I am entirely out when it comes to being a part of TST.

Aleister-Crowley

• Yes Aleister Crowley is my real name.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 03:29:05 AM »
I guess it depends entirely on where you live and who your neighbors are. My neighbors could not give a shit less about my business, so I don't care if they know. I am entirely out when it comes to being a part of TST.

I agree. I live in Ca. I live way out in the woods. However even when I go to town, I could careless what people think of me. Maybe if I lived in the bible belt it would matter. But since I don't. Seems not to be any problem.
I rather sip from the well of wisdom, then drown in the sea of stupidy.

eckbrat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »
My fiance is a Christian, and his family is ridiculously Christian, so we don't bring up my Atheism let alone this. He about flipped when I joined this. Not at the fact that I did, but because I went to share it on Facebook, and he knew his family would see it, and make a big deal about it. They would see the word "Satan" and jump to conclusions. It's that willful ignorance that some people have. Sometimes it is best to keep them in the dark if they aren't willing to do any research. His mom would be showering me with Bibles for sure. She already gave me one the first time I met her. I found it rather rude, but I expected it. My fiance had me ready for her shenanigans.

I wouldn't call it lying if you aren't asked. If I am ever asked, I just say that I don't discuss my personal beliefs with others. That they are my own. I will discuss them with people who have a genuine interest in them, and want to understand, but not if I know the person is going to judge me and try to "save" me.

Erzsébet Ruhig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
I don't feel there's a rule to stay in the "Satanic closet," as it were, but a matter of personal choice depending on your situation.

Recently I was pumping gas, alone, at about 9 p.m. on my way home when a man rolled up and asked me confrontationally about a tattoo on my neck. (It resembles an inverted pentagram.) I felt that in the interest of my own safety that lying by saying "Oh, no, I'm not a satanist..." was prudent. But I also asked him, what does it matter to him if I was?

The word "Satan" has so many misguided meanings because of the Christian underpinnings that exist in US society, held over from the first Europeans' settling here. I have had ardent discussions with my spouse about my belief in Satan as a symbol for critical thought, pursuit of knowledge, and rebellion against societal norms and expectations, and even he as a devout agnostic struggles with the concept. Outside of the Internet and my very closest friends do I discuss and identify myself as a satanist; my family, in-laws, less well-known acquaintances and, certainly, my colleagues and others I interact with in my professional life don't know (or need to). And, frankly, it's none of their business and I'm quite happy to spare myself being stereotyped by the ignorant.  :D
Into the source of wisdom
Beyond the Bible lies
Into the endless depth
Of Satan's eyes

samowens84

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 08:28:37 PM »
I was wearing my pentagram to a wake, and the person who died was wiccan. A lady there noticed my pentagram and approached me to mention that they had wiccan services downtown. I thanked her but politely told her I was a satanist, and she was like "what's that?" and proceeded to tell me that she didn't believe in hell. I told her I didn't either and we had an interesting conversation. I only mention this, which isn't exactly pertinent to the thread because it was mentioned that someone who is an agnostic has a hard time understanding satanism. It just seems to me that a lot of people who declare themselves "liberated" from Christian thought really aren't, and there is this unconscious fear of devils that, like for my wiccan person who was perfectly friendly, fuel their embrace of white light religions and/or philosophies. These people avoid mention of the devil or satanism like a person afraid of heights avoids roller coasters and simultaneously declare themselves liberated because they avoid what they fear, as well as add a qualification for do as thou will with the rule of three and the adendum harm none. Avoidance in psychology has the opposite effect l in that it increases the fear of what's avoided. To me Satanism allows me is like walking up to the cliff and facing my fears, my inadequacies as well as embrace my strengths and pursue my desires without left over Christian programing or fears. Just my two cents.

Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 08:31:12 PM »
 Thank you for your thoughts on this subject. I gained some insight and think I should perhaps experiment with coming out as a Satanist. No rush. But definitely something to consider.

Alchemist16AD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 01:34:42 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts on this subject. I gained some insight and think I should perhaps experiment with coming out as a Satanist. No rush. But definitely something to consider.

Just my 2 cents. Never a rush. You know you. If it's something you feel you can do. Then by all means. If not then I wouldn't let you decide different. I know if I lived in the bible belt. (not saying you do) Or if I had reasons to do so. Then I wouldn't let people know so easily.

senzek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 12:40:16 PM »
I guess my question is, what would the function of "coming out" be? I think people often wear their religious creed on their sleeve as a proselytizing technique. Else wise I suppose it could be a method to invite conversation/find like-minded people. I already have enough elements of my identity that make people uncomfortable that I don't feel the need to come out as much of anything; people find out when they will, if they do, and they'll think what they think. Essentially, I think you should figure out why you feel the need to come out and decide whether or not its worth it in light of whatever makes you feel you need to hide.

beatdaddio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 03:03:17 PM »
I guess my question is, what would the function of "coming out" be? I think people often wear their religious creed on their sleeve as a proselytizing technique. Else wise I suppose it could be a method to invite conversation/find like-minded people. I already have enough elements of my identity that make people uncomfortable that I don't feel the need to come out as much of anything; people find out when they will, if they do, and they'll think what they think. Essentially, I think you should figure out why you feel the need to come out and decide whether or not its worth it in light of whatever makes you feel you need to hide.
Well put.  I feel any outward expression of personal beliefs should have a purpose.  If you want to challenge people, challenge them--and be prepared for their push back.  I've been a TST-type Satanist my whole adult life (let's say the last 30+ years) but I objected to the theism and mysticism and other "isms" of most Satanic groups, so I have not worn any of their symbols or claimed them as my identity.  I joined TST because they are performing important functions in society beyond just shock value or "waking the sheeple", so I am pleased to let people know I'm a member.  Right after the recent election I told co-workers and friends that my first practical response was to donate money to TST.  But I also have some privilege that allows me to claim Satanism and not be harmed for it.  So I would understand if others who are not so safe chose to remain silent.
Now more than ever.

Raven3372

• There is no God or Satan a Heaven or Hell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 10:02:51 PM »
Greetings fellow Satanists! The biggest mistakes that I have seen or done is," Put myself out there". I wore black and wore my inverted pentagram in the open (big mistake). I even thought being a Satanist you had to listen to "Satanic Music". Well, let me tell you that is wrong! Granted you can do all these things but be prepare for people's reactions, and trust me you will get allot of hateful feedback. Just be yourself and enjoy life! I listen to all types of music and I wear all different colors of clothes. I respect others beliefs and if they ask me a question I answer it and show them facts based on my answers! If they disrespect me I simply walk away. Does that make me weak, no it makes me better then them! I know who I AM, I don't have to prove anything to anybody! Sometimes I wear all my black and I enjoy it but that doesn't make who I AM! Yes, I help people who are in need! Not because of God but because I choose to help people in need, as long as they are not greedy. I AM human and if it helps me out as well! I choose my battles wisely and that is the key!
Raven Alucard

Aleister-Crowley

• Yes Aleister Crowley is my real name.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 11:07:17 PM »
Greetings fellow Satanists! The biggest mistakes that I have seen or done is," Put myself out there". I wore black and wore my inverted pentagram in the open (big mistake). I even thought being a Satanist you had to listen to "Satanic Music". Well, let me tell you that is wrong! Granted you can do all these things but be prepare for people's reactions, and trust me you will get allot of hateful feedback. Just be yourself and enjoy life! I listen to all types of music and I wear all different colors of clothes. I respect others beliefs and if they ask me a question I answer it and show them facts based on my answers! If they disrespect me I simply walk away. Does that make me weak, no it makes me better then them! I know who I AM, I don't have to prove anything to anybody! Sometimes I wear all my black and I enjoy it but that doesn't make who I AM! Yes, I help people who are in need! Not because of God but because I choose to help people in need, as long as they are not greedy. I AM human and if it helps me out as well! I choose my battles wisely and that is the key!

Yep that's how I roll. lol 
I rather sip from the well of wisdom, then drown in the sea of stupidy.