Author Topic: My Wiccan brother is being harassed.  (Read 461 times)

Master Necromancer

• I'd rather die living, than live already dead.
    • View Profile
My Wiccan brother is being harassed.
« on: October 25, 2016, 08:10:01 PM »
Hey, I wasn't sure where else to put this, so I'm putting it here.

My brother, who's been an open Wiccan for about 5 years now, is getting harassment from Christians in his home town. He believes it's due to a pastor that lives near him making several sermons encouraging his followers to carry out the harassment, but he doesn't have any hard proof to back this up. Considering he has pretty bad PTSD from prison, he wants it to end before he accidentally does something extreme.

To make it clear what's been going on, he's had passing cars throw rocks at him, people spitting at him on the street, and people yelling rather nasty insults at him. In one case, a man wearing a mask threw a bag of flaming dog shit at him yelling "BURN THE WITCH!!!".

He's not sure what to do about the situation and is considering moving to a new city. Is there anything he can do to fight back against this?
Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.

-Martin Luther

samowens84

• View Profile
Re: My Wiccan brother is being harassed.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »
This is why anonymity can be valuable in certain places. In a situation like this you can't even trust the local pd. you can call outside help, but I think that nothing will change the attitude of a proudly ignorant town like this one, outside activism notwithstanding. I think that unfortunately your brother is right. it won't let up until either he kills someone or leaves town.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:32:52 PM by samowens84 »

Lilith Sitara

• ♀Ave Satana♂
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
Can he leave? Can you go to him? I would say reach out to the pastor and record any proof he responds with that would suggest that he was egging on the assault. Then turn to social media, not the local police. Bring the news in on it. Many Wiccans will back him.

Ninsianna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 04:21:38 AM »
This really depends on the place where you are living... where I live I would just call the police. If that's not an option, there's just fight or flight: maybe go public, make this a big deal and get support from others... or move away. It really depends on many things.

Calc

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »
I've seen people take to YouTube about this stuff. I know how it feels to be harassed like that, maybe not flaming dog shit, but I get a lot of threats. Maybe he could set up a YouTube or Twitter and share it with the internet. Maybe try Patheos too (mighta spelled it wrong), its a blog where most atheists post, but with all the shit that happened to your brother, I'm sure you could find some seriously good support from the secular community. Also, there are some Wiccan sites online that would help, OBOD (Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids) has some councelling for this as far as I know. I hope it works out for him, people suck. :-\