Author Topic: The TST Pentagram  (Read 863 times)

Scarecrow

• View Profile
The TST Pentagram
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »
So here's something I haven't seen discussed yet;

What's the meaning behind TST's pentagram? I would hope its design isn't totally arbitrary and I also hope it has at least a slightly different meaning from the one attached to the CoS's Sigil of Baphomet.

Does it have a name, meaning, history, anything?

It does look badass though, I'll give it that.

Alchemist16AD

• Embrace The Black Rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: The TST Pentagram
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:42:13 PM »
So here's something I haven't seen discussed yet;

What's the meaning behind TST's pentagram? I would hope its design isn't totally arbitrary and I also hope it has at least a slightly different meaning from the one attached to the CoS's Sigil of Baphomet.

Does it have a name, meaning, history, anything?

It does look badass though, I'll give it that.

“The goat on the frontispiece carries the sign of the pentagram on the forehead, with one point at the top, a symbol of light, his two hands forming the sign of hermeticism, the one pointing up to the white moon of the Quabbalic Chesed, the other pointing down to the black one of Geburah. This sign expresses the perfect harmony of mercy with justice. His one arm is female, the other male like the ones of the androgyn of Khunrath, the attributes of which we had to unite with those of our goat because he is one and the same symbol. The flame of intelligence shining between his horns is the magic light of the universal balance, the image of the soul elevated above matter, as the flame, whilst being tied to matter, shines above it. The ugly beast’s head expresses the horror of the sinner, whose materially acting, solely responsible part has to bear the punishment exclusively; because the soul is insensitive according to its nature and can only suffer when it materializes. The rod standing instead of genitals symbolizes eternal life, the body covered with scales the water, the semi-circle above it the atmosphere, the feathers following above the volatile. Humanity is represented by the two breasts and the androgyne arms of this sphinx of the occult sciences.”  (http://symboldictionary.net/?p=1143)

I am guessing instead of using the: Goat of Mendes (Sigil of Baphomet, Sabbatic Goat)
That they just used the head of the baphomet  that is my 2 cents for what ever it's worth.
Forged from wisdom, crafted from knowledge, a product of intelligence, raised by ignorance and stupidly. -Myself .

Xymox

• Child of Iblis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:42:33 PM »
Unfortunately the Co$ has copyrighted the Sigil of Baphomet that you usually see in mainstream media.... hence why you often see Sigil of Baphomets with slight variations (e.g. Hebrew words that don't spell LVTHN, or use Sumerian letters, etc).

I personally ADORE our Sigil, avoidance of lawsuits aside!

Alchemist16AD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
Unfortunately the Co$ has copyrighted the Sigil of Baphomet that you usually see in mainstream media.... hence why you often see Sigil of Baphomets with slight variations (e.g. Hebrew words that don't spell LVTHN, or use Sumerian letters, etc).

I personally ADORE our Sigil, avoidance of lawsuits aside!

Best info here: http://www.churchofsatan.com/history-sigil-of-baphomet.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigil_of_Baphomet

but one should note this:
The Church of Satan did file for (1981) and then received (1983) a trademark which protects the use of the Sigil of Baphomet with the words “Church of Satan.” The Church of Satan therefore has the legal right to place the ® symbol meaning “registered trademark” next to this combination of symbol and words. This trademark also prohibits anyone from using something similar in combination of name and symbol, which could constitute an illegal dilution or blurring of the trademark.

In other words the sigil alone is not copy righted if not used with the words Church of Satan.

Forged from wisdom, crafted from knowledge, a product of intelligence, raised by ignorance and stupidly. -Myself .

Zane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 06:13:03 PM »

I myself avoided the CoS version when I recently had the Sigil tattooed on my arm. It is a variation of the Maurice Bessy design but with the Hebrew letters spelling out Baphomet instead of Leviathan. I did this primarily because I consider myself eclectic and not affiliated with any particular group.

Alchemist16AD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »

I myself avoided the CoS version when I recently had the Sigil tattooed on my arm. It is a variation of the Maurice Bessy design but with the Hebrew letters spelling out Baphomet instead of Leviathan. I did this primarily because I consider myself eclectic and not affiliated with any particular group.

Awesome. I had thought of doing something similar.  My next tat has a wolf with the words "Wolves don't care about the opinions of sheep."

W Adam Smythe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
The only other place I have seen the design is on the dust jacket of a Dennis Wheatley book, "Classic Black Magic":

and