Author Topic: For Theistic Satanists  (Read 1284 times)

BeforeTheThrone

• View Profile
Re: For Theistic Satanists
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 10:02:12 AM »
I am a theistic Satanist. I was Catholic when I was little, but even then I valued Satan and what They represented highly. I felt like Yahweh must have created Satan and the potential for "evil" for some reason, and I liked the depiction of Satan in the Bible as a being who tests people and ideas to kind of burn away everything but the truth, a role which I thought important. I also came to the conclusion at an early age that I do not want to go to Heaven, even if it is a possibility.

Honestly, my current views of Satan aren't all that different from what I believed back then, when I was strictly Catholic. I think the main thing that's changed since then is that I have become more direct about expressing my appreciation for Satan, and that I no longer believe that Satan is completely subservient to Yahweh as I did before. I don't hate Christianity, however, like many people who leave Christian backgrounds seem to, although I think that many of their criticisms (such as homophobia, sexism, etcetera in the Church) are absolutely valid, do hurt people, and should be rectified.

Lilith Sitars, I think we may have some similar beliefs about what is true on different "planes," as you put it. Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying, but I personally believe that I can say with 100% certainty that everything exists, although I cannot say much about how a given thing exists. For example, I believe I can say without a doubt that you exist, because I am experiencing you by seeing your posts on this forum. However, I have no idea if you are a person, a computer program, a hallucination, a dream, etcetera. So, in that way, I believe everything exists, and my Catholicism-based theistic Satanism is just my choice as to how I personally treat the nature of that existence.

In the end, though, my theistic Satanism becomes effectively indistinguishable from atheistic Satanism in the way it affects many of my actions, since I have many of the same moral values as atheistic or agnostic Satanists often have. It's like quantum physics: whether a particular physicist subscribes to the Many Worlds interpretation or the "shut up and calculate" philosophy, their equations lead them all to the same conclusions.

Lucariwhoa

• ex-Roman Catholic, now Satanist & Activist
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Re: For Theistic Satanists
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 11:01:33 PM »
I grew up Roman Catholic. I was baptized, had First Communion, and was Confirmed. All this was before I learned how the Church could manipulate Bible passages to create a false narrative and indoctrinate their congregations with harmful, bigoted ideologies. My Church was actually very inclusive and never did any of that, which is why it took me until just recently to realize how harmful religion can be to some of the world's most vulnerable people. I kept hearing about stories about clergies forcing their ignorance onto people looking for something to help keep their hopes up while living in squalor, and it tore me from my faith in God. It was shocking for me to read the same passages these pastors would read, but instead of preaching kindness and tolerance they were interpreting justification for bigotry.

I was a weak agnostic after I rejected my faith, and continued until just this year when I came across TST's version of Satanism. I'd heard of Laveyan Satanism, but I didn't think it did much except provide a basic guideline for how to live life, so it really wasn't for me. I wanted to be part of something bigger... something that could make a genuine impact. Seeing the strong activism work TST has done immediately got me interested, and after a bit of research I got my member cert and card. Everyday I make sure to remind myself of the tenets on my card, and try my best to lead a rewarding life with regards to the tenets. I confirmed my belief in Satanism to myself when I got into an argument with a devout Christian, who told me the only time he'd ever defend a transgender person would be if he saw one getting beat up. He claimed being transgender was a sin, effectively destroying the temple God gave them. My knowledge of the Bible led me to understand he was abusing his religion to enforce his beliefs on other people. I eventually blocked him for an unrelated post about LGBT+ people, which was mostly rambling about how it's okay for him to judge God's people because of his interpretation of the Bible (which is utter bullshit, but I'm pretty sure we theistic Satanists already know that.)

So thanks to you guys, I've been a Satanist for a little while and my life has been much happier ever since.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:04:50 PM by Lucariwhoa »