Author Topic: Jex Blackmore for High Priestess  (Read 2174 times)

Lilith Sitara

• ♀Ave Satana♂
    • View Profile
Re: Jex Blackmore for High Priestess
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »
This would be outrageous... It would throw out any respect I could have had. I would like this to be clarified. This is what demonizes not only Satanism but any religion with spiritual similarities, i.e. Wiccanism. This is the kind of ignorance I believe this group is meant to stand against not perpetuate.

Ninsianna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 01:39:34 AM »

beatdaddio

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 12:22:26 AM »
Isn't it a bit silly for a self proclaimed Satanist to complain about being "demonized"?  I mean if you're only in it for the personal empowerment, try Tony Robbins instead.  I'd say the chief draws of Satanism are its demonic aesthetic and its embrace of the darkness.  You can take them literally or figuratively, but if you remove them then you are left with something less appetizing, and less Satanic.

In this movie, Black Phillip won.  Yes, the ignorant religious people were terrified.  Yes, they died trying to fight off something they could not understand.  Did that not thrill you?  It thrilled me.  I don't wish untimely death upon anyone in reality, but for a fantasy movie in which "my side" wins, a little slaughter and mayhem helps bolster the spirit.  At the end, we got a metaphorical orgasm, as our witches were lifted into the sky.  Did you not feel uplifted by the flames?  It's all metaphoric.

I "believe in" science, and I don't believe in magic goats and possession and girls that fly in fire.  By the same token, I don't believe there is a literal Baphomet, with the goat head and other symbolic physical aspects.  But I can clearly see why Baphomet was a good choice for the proposal of a statue to be erected in a government building, as an act of resistance to the Christian objects placed there.  Similarly, all the demonism and possessions and incendiary aviatrixes are just language to communicate a resistance to the narrative of submission to a false authority.

So while I can see the objection to superstitious magick in the movie, I personally saw it as a feel-good opportunity to relish and live inside of the symbolism of the battle between theistic oppressors and Satanic rebels.  There's nothing wrong with a (or "the") Satanic temple promoting that experience.

Back to the original discussion, I agree with those who say we don't need hierarchy or titles, because too often people will then focus on those elements and forget all about the original mission.
Now more than ever.

toyking

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
I would like to Jex High Priestess. I live In a part of the world where it is hard to unite our own chapter (I'm working on it) I do agree with some of the comments that TST needs to keep its archaic roots but I look at the how recognisable Jex is as a leader in the Temple and cant see how it would hurt for her to be recognised with a title. I'm easy either way, but I am a strong believer in leadership and see many qualities in Jex.
PEACE IS A LIE

41_6e_61

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
My view? Not just no, but hell no ... whatever high priestess means. Stupid shit like this puts TST and its members at risk. This is sooooo sooooo stupid.
http://www.alternet.org/right-wing/satanists-are-sending-semen-soaked-socks-texas-lawmakers-protest-anti-abortion-rule

Yeah let's just send a bunch of jizz to lawmakers and put The Satanic Temple's stamp of approval on it. WTF is she thinking?

Lucien Greaves and other foundational members of TST need to bookmark this as an example of what not to do. Absolutely nothing good or productive can come from stupid shit like this, and it has the potential to land a member in prison for years, not to mention destroying TST's credibility. You think the government fucks around with fluids being sent to lawmakers through the mail? This is so fucking stupid and careless.

This is plain dumb as fucking shit.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again. The FBI is monitoring The Satanic Temple. How do I know that? Because I know they monitor every group under the sun that has any sort of fringe element to it, or poses a threat to the status quo. Occupy Wall Street, the right winger's TEA Party, Black Lives Matter, any and every group, including The Satanic Temple, is actively monitored by the FBI. They're not going to fuck around with something like this. They could charge someone like they sent anthrax to a lawmaker or something.

Anyone who lacks the judgement to see that this is about the stupidest, most counter-productive, and dangerous thing The Satanic Temple could do, does not have the merit to be in any sort of leadership role. Apparently she sought legal advice from a postal worker, and was like "ok all good!"

If not distance themselves from Jex Blackmore, The Satanic Temple needs to at the very least publicly condemn this, and clearly outline that this is not an action that The Satanic Temple has taken, but one that Jex Blackmore alone as taken. Sending shit like jizz to lawmakers is some serious fucking business, and this needs to be treated accordingly. Stuff like this is on about the same level as "let's all go light public Christmas displays on fire!"

I personally don't want to be associated with The Satanic Temple if stuff like this goes on with TST's stamp of approval, and people that do this and put TST and its members in jeopardy need to be purged.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:58:24 AM by 41_6e_61 »

Sebastian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
This is not a TST campaign. But that should be more clear, you are right.

41_6e_61

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 02:53:43 AM »
This is not a TST campaign. But that should be more clear, you are right.

Even if it's not, it looks like it is. Jex Blackmore is a national spokesperson, and chapter head. She represents TST, and many people will assume her lone actions are actions TST takes.

Notice the article says "The Satanists are sending cum filled socks to lawmakers", not "Jex Blackmore is sending cum filled socks to lawmakers."

I'm not in the habit of quoting posts on /r/satanism, but just look at what other Satanists think. They think this is something TST is doing, not lone Jex Blackmore.
https://www.reddit.com/r/satanism/comments/5gp7co/satanic_temple_illustrating_how_mature_they_are/?st=iwdbufml&sh=e74d38ad

She's being incredibly irresponsible, and this is going to give TST a huge black eye at the very least.

#notmyspokesperson

41_6e_61

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 05:00:17 AM »
The only mention that it's not an official TST campaign is in an article I found on vice.

"(Lucien Greaves, another spokesperson for the organization, tells Broadly that the campaign isn't officially endorsed or encouraged by the Satanic Temple.)"
https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/cum-rags-for-congress-satanists-protest-texas-abortion-law-with-semen-socks

This is the only mention I've seen anywhere. I think TST should make a public statement on their website stating that it's not endorsed or encouraged.

jexblackmore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 11:41:07 AM »
Hi all,  Jex here.  In regards to your questions about TST's endorsement of the film 'The Witch,' here is the letter and justification for the project, which you can read here: http://satanic-revolution.com/, information about the subsequent ritual cycle that followed the film can be found here:  http://www.sabbatcycle.com/ 

The film was based on real, historical texts about witchcraft from pre-colonial America, a period which reflects our country's oppressive patriarchal, theocratic roots.  The horrific, supernatural depictions of women as witches in the film are a direct reference to the pejorative characterizations applied to independent women/outsiders during this dark history.  This is also a period of time that many of our legislators continue to celebrate, making a claim that we should "return" to "America's roots" - and when they say that, they are referring to this superstitious, hysterical, theocratic period.  Of course, the film is a fantasy, and what makes it frightening is not due to the fact that 'witches drink babies blood,' but it's that people actually believed this to be true - and that women like Thomasin suffered as a result of this hysteria.  In fact, we aren't ever sure if the supernatural features of the film are "real," or imagined.  However, what's so becautiful about the story, is that Thomasin is transformed under these pressures, she is liberated under the yoke of Satanism.  She tries to play by the rules and behave, but she's is repremanded and degraded every time she expresses her independence. The fundamental condition of her reality is torn apart as she expresses her nature as a woman and she immerges a 'witch'. 

This serves as a powerful metaphor for the modern Satanist.  We are people who embrace the Satanic identity, despite the fact that it remains a pejorative.  We are drawn to Satanism because we are outsiders, because we are told are "sinners," merely because we are human - and instead of conforming to the oppressive change demanded of us, we embrace and celebrate our Satanic nature.

I hope that helps.

jexblackmore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
In regards to the #cumragsforcongress project...I apologize that this has been a point of contention. While information about this idea was strictly posted on my personal accounts, I realize that I need to take greater care to distinguish my own projects from those of the Temple. I was a Satanic activist long before the Temple came into being and it's important for me to be able to continue my work outside of the organization while continuing to support TST where needed.  For the record, I did make this distinction to every journalist that I've spoken to, however, some of them were less effective at successfully communicating this point. 

For those of you who are upset by the nature of this project.  I understand.  It's crass, humiliating, disgusting, immature, a waste of resources, and absurd - just like the regulation in Texas.  The intention is to utilize an outrageous, visceral idea to highlight the absurdity of the regulation and to build a platform for us to highlight the awful nature of the law by manipulating the press with a sensational headline.  If you are an individual with relatively little power or resources, sometimes political theatre is the most powerful tool too provide a voice to the voiceless.  Of course, there are multiple approaches one can take on any issue.  I knew TST would issue a statement about providing exemptions to the law, I personally thought it would be hilarious and ridiculous to send semen-like substances to legislators following the same logic that they promote.  As a result, the issue has made it into the facebook feeds of thousands of individuals and journalists have had an opportunity to highlight how backwards the regulation is.  No one approach to this issue is correct, or the only way.

However, what does bother me, is that many people are up in arms at how "immature," "disgusting," "irresponsible," and "potentially illegal," this project is. What about the regulation that it's in response to?  Why does it take radical action to highlight the reality that elected representatives in our governement are passing  "immature," "disgusting," "irresponsible," and "potentially illegal," regulations that causes harm to vulnerable women and families?

A reasoned, mature response is also necessary and many organizations have taken this approach, including TST.  However, I am one woman, who cares deeply about reproductive access and don't believe that the oppressive theocrats are the only ones with the right and privilege to constantly disgust and offend us.  We too have that power, and on occassion, we can use it to empower ourselves and create platform for passionate discourse where very little existed before. 

I do apologize, however, if this remains unsettling to you because of my affiliation with the Temple, and I respect a diversity of thought on this issue. Moving forward, I will be more sensitive to the power of my work in impacting the Temple and its members.

41_6e_61

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 08:16:36 PM »
Hi Jex, I appreciate you making a post here on the subject of your cumrags for congress campaign, and let me say that I think the new Texas abortion restrictions are horrible.

I also want to apologize for my tone. I am bad about letting my emotions get the best of me. It's a personal fault of mine. I'm sorry.

I hope you understand that because of your position with The Satanic Temple, everything you do publicly, even if it has nothing at all to do with TST, looks like something that The Satanic Temple is doing.

To take an extreme hypothetical, let's say I was open about being a Satanist, and my social circle and others in my community knew I was a member of The Satanic Temple. Let's now say that I committed a horrible crime, like I murdered someone. The press would take the story and say "The Satanic Temple is full of murderers." Obviously it's a distortion, but it's something that would likely happen. I don't mean to equivocate murder with what you're doing at all, I'm just pointing out that organizations are commonly reduced to their lowest common denominators ... and I don't mean this as to belittle or demean you, or say you are the lowest common denominator of TST, that's not what I mean. What I mean is that actions that members of TST take, and especially actions that people in public positions in TST take, such as chapter heads, or national spokespersons, reflect on TST organizationally as a whole.

I do stand by my criticism however, in that a member of TST might actually send a cum filled sock to the governor of Texas, and then be arrested and charged with a very serious crime. I don't know what such a charge might be, I'm not a laywer, but I think it's completely feasible that law enforcement would consider this to be biological agents, sent with the intention to cause harm to a governor. It's incredibly serious, and isn't a laughing matter (to law enforcement). And to this point, I'm not going to ask you if you personally mailed semen to the governor, and I suggest that if you did, you shouldn't post publicly that you did, because it would be incriminating evidence.

We live in a post 9/11 world, and in America thanks to the 2001 AUMF, and 2011 NDAA, Americans can be indefinitely detained with no charges, no trial, and no access to legal counsel, if they are accused of materially supporting terrorist organizations. This is the reality of the country we live in now, so ideas like sending semen to lawmakers, while humorous, can have dire consequences. Again, this is not an equivocation, it's just to point out how serious the government takes national security, and security of lawmakers.

I would like to say however that I think you're not far from the mark with your idea, and I'll expand on that statement.

I don't know a lot about you. I've read a couple of your posts on social media, and I've seen a couple interviews you've done on youtube. I also saw the piece that Vice did on what I think is called "the milk ritual" in Detroit.

I think generally speaking, radical direct action is a very good thing. I don't know if you yourself are an Anarchist, but my impression from the Vice piece was that you are, and this looked very much like Anarchist direct action to me. I would like to say now that I respect you, and the others involved in this action, very much for what you did there. I think it was a fantastic piece of performance art.

One of the greatest things about art, is how the interpretation comes down to the viewer, or listener. And I'd like to tell you that one of my favorite things that I saw was where you were walking, dragging a cross over your shoulder, while being whipped by a man. In my interpretation, this symbolizes a woman being forced to carry a child to term, by a patriarchal, theocratic society. I'm not sure if this is how it was intended to be perceived, but this is how I perceived it, and I think it was fantastic.

As a bit of an aside, I'd like to mention some women who are some of my personal heroes. Pussy Riot, the Russian Feminist punk rock collective/activist group. I think they are amazing, and the political theater that they have done is some of the most poignant art I've seen in my life. Their protest in Sochi during the Winter Olympics, where they were immediately whipped by Cossaks, is incredibly inspiring to me. I don't know how much you know about current Russian society ... and I don't claim to know a ton about it myself, but I am of Russian descent, I've always had an interest in Russia, and I know a fair amount about Russian society. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, their society has moved further towards religion, and Pussy Riot is absolutely loathed by all but an incredibly minuscule amount of Russians because of their actions in a Cathedral for A Punk Prayer. So during their protest in Sochi, they were surrounded by people who hated them, and they were being whipped by Cossaks, but they wouldn't be silenced, and continued to sing "Putin will teach you how to love the motherland." This is incredibly inspiring.

Political theater, or direction action if you like, such as what Pussy Riot has done, and such as what you've done in Detroit with TST, is very important I think, if only to hold up mirror to society.

The nature of the country that we live in today, aside from the concerns regarding the national security, surveillance, and police state, is one where politically, the citizenry at large does not have a voice, and there is largely no efficacy in any sort of political engagement.

Voting has no efficacy, at least federally.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10769041/The-US-is-an-oligarchy-study-concludes.html

Protest has no efficacy.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/dec/29/fbi-coordinated-crackdown-occupy

Obviously violence has no efficacy.

Also, I used to think it did, but I'm really starting to think it doesn't either. Whistle blowing, and hacktivism. What positive change has Chelsea Manning's actions brought about? None, and she rots in a cage for 35 years ... if she lives that long. What positive change has Edward Snowden's actions brought about? None, and he's probably never going to return to the US to see his family, and the country that is his home.

You might not be familiar with these names, but look at Jeremy Hammond, and Barrett Brown.

Jeremy Hammond, an anonymous hacktivist, did this:

"On Friday the 28-year-old activist will appear for sentencing in the Southern District Court of New York in Manhattan. After having made a plea agreement, he faces the possibility of a 10-year sentence for hacking into the Texas-based private security firm Strategic Forecasting Inc., or Stratfor, which does work for the Homeland Security Department, the Marine Corps, the Defense Intelligence Agency and numerous corporations including Dow Chemical and Raytheon.

Hammond turned the pilfered information over to the website WikiLeaks and Rolling Stone and other publications. The 3 million email exchanges, once made public, exposed the private security firm’s infiltration, monitoring and surveillance of protesters and dissidents, especially in the Occupy movement, on behalf of corporations and the national security state. And, perhaps most important, the information provided chilling evidence that anti-terrorism laws are being routinely used by the federal government to criminalize nonviolent, democratic dissent and falsely link dissidents to international terrorist organizations. Hammond sought no financial gain. He got none.

The email exchanges Hammond made public were entered as evidence in my lawsuit against President Barack Obama over Section 1021 of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). Section 1021 permits the military to seize citizens who are deemed by the state to be terrorists, strip them of due process and hold them indefinitely in military facilities. Alexa O’Brien, a content strategist and journalist who co-founded US Day of Rage, an organization created to reform the election process, was one of my co-plaintiffs. Stratfor officials attempted, we know because of the Hammond leaks, to falsely link her and her organization to Islamic radicals and websites as well as to jihadist ideology, putting her at risk of detention under the new law. Judge Katherine B. Forrest ruled, in part because of the leak, that we plaintiffs had a credible fear, and she nullified the law, a decision that an appellate court overturned when the Obama administration appealed it. "
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_revolutionaries_in_our_midst_20131110

Barrett Brown, an independent journalist and quasi spokesperson for anonymous, covered the Hammond leaks, organized crowd sourcing efforts to sift through all the data, and he initially came under scrutiny for simply pasting a link to the database of information on his Project PM site. Along with additional charges, he was facing around 100 years in prison, and plead to lesser charges, including threatening an FBI agent in a video on youtube. I've seen the video personally, and he blatantly stated that he was not personally threatening the agent, just that "we", ie anonymous, would look into his life, and look into his children's lives. My point in this is that along with his prison sentence, which he just finished, he has to pay nearly 1 million dollars to Stratfor, the private intelligence contractor that was trying to falsely link Occupy Wall Street protestors to terrorist organizations, so they would be "black bagged" under the NDAA indefinite detention provisions.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/22/barrett-brown-trial-warns-dangerous-precedent-hacking-sentencing

So my point is that nothing citizens can hope do to has any sort of efficacy, at least federally. We live in a failed nation. Our democracy doesn't work. The whole thing is like a giant, deadly snowball, racing exponentially faster down a mountain, growing exponentially larger, destroying anyone and everything that gets in its way. This is the state of the country we live in today, and this is why I was so alarmed at what you were calling for.

To conclude my statement that I think you're not far from the mark ... but at the same time you're way off.

Obviously I think the idea to send cum rags to a governor is terrible, for all the reasons I've stated. But I think something that would be a good idea is to publicly perform a burial ritual with a cum filled sock, kind of like what you did in Detroit. This is sooooooo much better of an idea, because it doesn't put anyone at risk legally.

As an Anarchist, I hold no reverence for the law at all. I have absolutely no control over what the law is, or who the law makers are, and I don't consent to the rules, or being ruled. But I think pragmatism is extremely important. If a form of direction action simply has no efficacy, and is counter-productive, other forms should be sought out.

Yes, I think your idea is hilarious, but there are serious implications not just to yourself, not just to a member of TST who might do what you suggest, but to this entire organization, and in my view, there's no efficacy in it. It has zero potential to bring about positive change. I think The Satanic Temple does have efficacy though, because I've seen it personally in my own state; Oklahoma, and this is why I decided to become a member. So I really don't want to see it jeopardized in any way, and this is why I felt so strongly in regards to your personal campaign.

So thanks again for posting, and I do hope that you'll consider how actions that you might take personally could have very negative consequences on The Satanic Temple.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:53:09 PM by 41_6e_61 »

toyking

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 04:17:51 PM »
Love your work Jex!
PEACE IS A LIE