Author Topic: "As a psychiatrist ... I help spot demonic possession"  (Read 1150 times)

LtSlothrop

• Paul Fecteau
    • View Profile
    • Paul Fecteau's home page
"As a psychiatrist ... I help spot demonic possession"
« on: July 29, 2016, 11:22:48 PM »
from the Washington Post back on July 1 (not April 1):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/07/01/as-a-psychiatrist-i-diagnose-mental-illness-and-sometimes-demonic-possession/

He's just trying to help "tormented souls" -- oh, and writing a book about it . . .

samowens84

• View Profile
Re: "As a psychiatrist ... I help spot demonic possession"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:31:10 AM »
He admits that he's never seen a levitation, but he's meet others who "swear" they've seen one, and of course he believes them without evidence cause we all know how reliable untestable eyewitnesses are. And let's not forget those crafty camera shy demons! lol He doesn't offer one shred of confirmable evidence, just the illusion of "fair mindedness." I reserve the right to automatically dismiss these kinds of claims that offer no evidence and are factually meaningless.

Lilith Sitara

• ♀Ave Satana♂
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »
Seriously, they act like this chick is evil. She. Is. AWESOME!!! Speaking different languages, secret knowledge, obviously she is a well trained spy who failed at incognito training lol

Ortrud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 07:35:20 AM »
Have begun to read the article. Gotta confess that I ended up with headache.
How on earth can a psychiatrist actually believe in demons? We live in the 21th century, as far as I know.

Lilith Sitara

• ♀Ave Satana♂
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
I'm studying psychology and I believe in demons (I am a theistic satanist fyi) but I believe that the two should not necessarily be used together, I think I priest should only be consulted if the patient asks because even if this is not a demonic possession it can be mentally cathartic, but the scientific and spiritual often don't play well together. It should be viewed as mental illness and medicated as such unless an exorcism is successful and after several follow ups the patient is still symptom free.

Ortrud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:49:29 AM »
I see your point here! May I ask how such a possession be mentally cathartic? (Sorry, I am unexperienced in this field.)

MeritSet

• Fierce | Proud | Strong
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
"Is it possible to be a sophisticated psychiatrist and believe that evil spirits are, however seldom, assailing humans?"

You can believe whatever you want. On your own time.

I would hope that any licensed psychiatrist would realize that neither medical school, residency, nor the DSM itself teaches "demonic possession" as a legitimate diagnosis.  To treat it as such is flying well outside the radar of established practice.