Author Topic: Told my mom i was a Satanist...  (Read 3807 times)

Zane

• View Profile
Re: Told my mom i was a Satanist...
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 06:53:58 AM »
My parents both knew I was a Satanist not long after I adopted it as my "life choice" during my teens. Neither particularly liked it but both respected that it was my choice and I was entitled to it. I suppose it helped that neither was religious so there wasn't the usual "conflict of interests" in that sense. I even loaned my late father some books on Satanism so he understood it better - it didn't necessarily change his stance but I appreciated that he took the time to at least learn more about it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:05:40 AM by Zane »

OM3G4_247

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 11:32:52 PM »
I would actually never tell my parents.
They know I'm an atheist, and that's all they need to know as far as I'm concerned.
I have a similar issue, my family mainly consists of Charismatic Christians, so I know there will be trouble and they will make my life miserable and treat me like garbage. Heck the backlash I got from getting a tattoo was hectic enough.

I told my sister and she's cool with it, she sees what TST stands for and she says anyone who stands up for those rights, can't be that bad.

I made the mistake of telling a physiologist I'm a member of TST and she nearly wanted to end our session then and there.
I went on to explain it to her and eventually she settled down, but instead of focusing on helping my real issues and concerns she got caught up on the fact that I don't believe in god.   

lillithdasa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 09:50:33 PM »
When I came out as a Satanist to my mom, she called Satanism stupid. She is Christian but hardly ever goes to church. She still thinks she can control what I believe. She makes remarks like you better not be looking up anything about Satanism. She lost that ability when she allowed my dad to physically abuse and lives in denial to this day. I am dealing with friends who are telling me they would reject me for going back to Satanism. I could not live with their repressive rules on sexuality. It is sort of like a herd mentality with the Christians. You are not allowed to speak up if you disagree. I know I am going to be losing friends but I now question their friendship. I would rather have friends who accept me as I am instead of a false image of what I should be as a human being. I get tired of people who have unrealistic expectations. I have found other Satanists on Facebook who have become my support system. I refrain from discussing religion or sex with her. I leave the room at family gatherings when they start to pray over the meal.

Hef

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »
I openly discuss Satanism on my social media. Despite myself being so open about the situation I find that there is a hint of fear in telling my parents. After acquiring my sabbatical goat tattoo (that I showed my parents) they didn't seem against the tattoo. Maybe I just don't want to create a disturbance in my household. Maybe my parents will be 100% accepting of who I am. I think I'll wait until telling them.

Regardless, I am very proud to announce who I am in the public eye. Every person who ridicules me, about being a Satanist, fuels my morals. Sure it does cause some issues here and there with friendships but in the long-run, if someone hates me because of my beliefs, they're probably not a true friend. I just try to provide as much understanding to these types of people as I can and call it a day.

samowens84

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 03:15:50 PM »
I openly discuss Satanism on my social media. Despite myself being so open about the situation I find that there is a hint of fear in telling my parents. After acquiring my sabbatical goat tattoo (that I showed my parents) they didn't seem against the tattoo. Maybe I just don't want to create a disturbance in my household. Maybe my parents will be 100% accepting of who I am. I think I'll wait until telling them.

Regardless, I am very proud to announce who I am in the public eye. Every person who ridicules me, about being a Satanist, fuels my morals. Sure it does cause some issues here and there with friendships but in the long-run, if someone hates me because of my beliefs, they're probably not a true friend. I just try to provide as much understanding to these types of people as I can and call it a day.

Why do you need everyone to know everything about you to feel loved? Are you doing it for the attention alone? Not all my friends know everything about me, and I entertain them for different reasons. My family might know, but I think only suspect, and I really couldnt care less whether they would accept it or not. Do you feel guilty about being a satanist in your house? If so, why? Hangups are not uncommon, but if your dependent on your parents, there is no need to "come out" so to speak. Learn to be comfortable in your own skin and accept that part of you is seperate from your parents. Or not. Its your choice, but if your really on the LHP you dont need anyone to validate your identity or your path. And Satanism certainly doesnt need any martyrs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:42:35 PM by samowens84 »

Hef

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ IN RESPONSE

It is not to feel loved, it is because I am prideful in who I am. I do not care about my friends judging me or hating me for what I believe. However, I do live under my parents roof and I would prefer to cause them the least amount of stress because I love them. I am very comfortable in my own skin. Although, you do have a valid reason to play devils advocate with me. I do not need anyone to know who I am and why I do the things that I do. With that in-mind, it does not bother me to have people know about how I am a satanist. I wear it on my chest proudly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:46:19 PM by Hef »

samowens84

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 05:51:55 PM »
Lol those quotes can be tricky and annoying lol. Fair enough. I did that as a means to shed the sheep and keep the friends who were truly intelligent and intetesting. Act like you dont give a fuck from the begining and others will bend their will to impress you instead of the other way around. However, do consider not bringing your parents into it. If you think the house is likely to be more peaceful without them knowing, then keep it. Besides, I kind of relish in secrets, it feels good lol.