Author Topic: Told my mom i was a Satanist...  (Read 3670 times)

41_6e_61

• View Profile
Re: Told my mom i was a Satanist...
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 04:51:46 PM »
I live in the south, and my mother and brother are hardcore Christians, and my father identifies as Christian and believes in God, but isn't hardcore. However, he is extremely unsupportive of anything outside the norm. I also have some friends, some close, some not, some on the fence of being close or not, and a couple of them are not religious, some are hardcore Christians, and some are Christian but not hardcore.

When it comes to family, I really don't tell them much of anything about myself. I've only recently became a Satanist, but I'm also bisexual, and I have gender dysphoria. I see absolutely no reason to tell any of my direct family members either of what I've just stated.

My mother does know I'm an Atheist, and she does all the bullshit like pray to God to save me and all that shit. She'll give me birthday cards with bible verses on them, all that kind of bullshit. It's very frustrating to deal with, because never have I once said "Oh well there's no god, because x y and z." Meanwhile she's constantly saying "this happened because of god" or "your musical talent is a god given talent," and I get really tired of hearing it. So if I told her, or my brother, either about my sexuality or religion of choice, it would be a huge issue. Same goes with my father, so I basically have to hide who I really am around those who are supposed to be the closest to me.

Hey mom, dad, brother, I'm a bisexual transgender Satanist. How was your day?

Yeah, that would go over really well. It's just not worth it. I just have to hide who I am, and they don't get to know who I really am. We all lose.

Regarding my friends, of which I really don't have many, the vast minority would be accepting, and I think a few of them have an idea that I'm a Satanist by now. On Fridays I play music with them at a mutual friend's house, and my really good friend told me I should become a minister so I could marry him and his girlfriend, who is also a very good friend of mine. I told him I would be a Satanic minister, and I don't think they would want me. At this point, a borderline friend looked at me like I just killed her child.

Another friend who is now borderline in my view, wasn't there at the time, but earlier in the day he threatened me with violence ...

A few years ago in college, I was taking an American Federal Government class, and it was populated with many homophobic, bigoted Christians. Some of our assignments were online discussions on different issues, and we were having a discussion on gay marriage. This was before the U.S. vs. Windsor Supreme Court decision which legalized gay marriage nationally. Anyway, many of my fellow students were posting incredibly hateful, anti gay things, like "homosexuals should not be tolerated in the United States" and shit like that. So me, being a bit of an activist who had protested at the school previously, I decided to conduct a little protest.

I took a bible, and publicly made a speech out in the hall before class. It was just me, and a room full of bigots. I told everyone that this book was used to justify homophobia and bigotry, and I told them what they had said in our online discussion was absolutely revolting. I then told them that this was for gay rights, and I tore up the bible, threw it down, and stomped and spit on it.

Up to this point in my life, this was the most brave thing I've ever done. I had previously protested a politician that was speaking, and that was fucking nothing compared to this.

Anyway, like most important things in my life, I told my close friends about this at the time.

Fast forward back to last Friday, and my good friend brought it up, and the other friend who is now borderline said "I'm a Christian, but if I ever saw you do that in front of me, I'd beat the fucking shit out of you." I was quite shocked, and after a brief moment I said, "so much for free speech, huh?" He then went on to try to argue that free speech doesn't give you the right to tear up a book, but that's not the point. The point is he threatened me with violence. This person doesn't yet know, to my knowledge, that I am now a Satanist, but I'm sure when he finds out, I'll be very borderline to him as well.

Another one of the friends in that group, the guy that plays drums, is also pretty hardcore Christian, and several times he's suggested we do a song about the ten commandments. Just a song where the lyrics are the ten commandments. I think if he suggests it again, I'll offer to humor him, so long as he humors me, and we also do a song that is the seven tenants of The Satanic Temple.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long post, but I just want to give my perspective as someone living in the south surrounded by homophobic Christians.

I would be very reluctant to do something like engage in a protest with other members of The Satanic Temple here. Why? Because I'm afraid I would be fucking shot by some god damn Christian lunatic, that's why.

The United States is a first world country, but in the south, the government and the citizens still hold on to Theocracy, and oppression against members of the LGBT community, or minority religions, especially Satanism, is very real.

I cannot tell my family who I really am, and I live with the threat of violence from my own friends. That is what it's like being an LGBT Satanist in the south. So no, I'm not really that public about it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:06:48 PM by 41_6e_61 »

TheBlackSheep

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 08:17:53 PM »
What state are you in? I'm taking a shother in the dark andays guessing Texas maybe?

I too am living with my mother who is VERY Christian and VERY superstitious. Everything that happens is "an act of God" or "God trying to communicate with us". She has an idea that I'm an atheist but doesn't want to seriously think it's true, and she knows I support TST but prays daily I don't join. I've been a member almost two months now. I'm applying for a job to support myself on my own and get an apartment with some more accepting friends ASAP.

My advice should you want it, is to ditch those "friends", get a job so you can move out of that house, and find other Satanists from the Temple in your area. Look for a Chapter near you and try to reach out.
"It is better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven"

41_6e_61

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
I'm in Oklahoma.

I'm trying to finish up my associate's degree this fall. I have to conquer what has been my biggest academic demon; the dreaded spectre known as math. I've taken so long to graduate because I decided to double major, and because of math, I'm apparently in a do or die situation right now, and have to graduate this semester.

I think I'll be able to graduate, it will just take a shit load of work and focus on math, and then I'm not entirely sure what I'll do. I may move to another city to pursue a Bachelor's, I may move out of state, I may even move out of the country. I definitely don't plan to stay where I am though, because it's absolutely intolerable.

Lilith Sitara

• ♀Ave Satana♂
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
Reading some of your guys' posts gives me hope and strength. My husband knows I joined, he's kinda confused by the concept but doesn't mind. I have a close friend who's reading TSB and considering the Church instead of the Temple, but is supportive either way. As far as my family they know I lean toward wiccan, have recently left my church but I will not tell them about Satanism, wouldn't go well. My other friends are really hardcore Christian, some think I am possessed by demons just because I turned to paganism so they definitely wouldn't understand. It's frustrating how close minded people can really be. One Christian threatened to convert my infant son by whatever means necessary, that kind of scared me a bit.

Alchemist16AD

• Embrace The Black Rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »
Reading some of your guys' posts gives me hope and strength. My husband knows I joined, he's kinda confused by the concept but doesn't mind. I have a close friend who's reading TSB and considering the Church instead of the Temple, but is supportive either way. As far as my family they know I lean toward wiccan, have recently left my church but I will not tell them about Satanism, wouldn't go well. My other friends are really hardcore Christian, some think I am possessed by demons just because I turned to paganism so they definitely wouldn't understand. It's frustrating how close minded people can really be. One Christian threatened to convert my infant son by whatever means necessary, that kind of scared me a bit.

I can relate to that. We (my wife and I) ended up taking out son out of school and home schooling him. Due to him coming home and saying god loves you. Or praying at the dinner table. We didn't mind of this was a free choice. Yet his teachers and classmates told him if he didn't he was going to hell.  So we sat him down and educated him on every religion we could get books on. And told him the choice was his. No one else's ..  For myself reading the bible is what turned me against the Christian religion. I spent my life researching religion, and the occult. I am happy being an Atheist scientist who embraces Satanism and Luciferianism ..
Forged from wisdom, crafted from knowledge, a product of intelligence, raised by ignorance and stupidly. -Myself .

Lilith Sitara

• ♀Ave Satana♂
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 10:42:21 PM »

I can relate to that. We (my wife and I) ended up taking out son out of school and home schooling him. Due to him coming home and saying god loves you. Or praying at the dinner table. We didn't mind of this was a free choice. Yet his teachers and classmates told him if he didn't he was going to hell.  So we sat him down and educated him on every religion we could get books on. And told him the choice was his. No one else's ..  For myself reading the bible is what turned me against the Christian religion. I spent my life researching religion, and the occult. I am happy being an Atheist scientist who embraces Satanism and Luciferianism ..

That is such a good decision, peer pressure really can be just crap. Be it drugs or religion, too strong of influences can lead to bad actions or feelings. Fear is a powerful factor of those "This way or the Hell Fire," faiths.

MDarkthorne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 05:48:30 PM »
When I first discovered TST and decided that this was for me, I made a post on Facebook for everyone close to me to see. I posted the Tenets, I linked to the TST website, I posted another link directly to the FAQ page, and I posted an interview with Lucien I found on Youtube describing TST and it's mission. I told them this was the way I was living my life and here is the all reading and research to understand it. I also told them that if they had an issue with it, we could have a discussion about it, but if they refused to read up on it and argued from a point of ignorance, their opinion would be invalid in my eyes and if they didn't like it, they knew where the "unfriend" button was. A few people blocked me, but I don't really care. The way I look at it, I don't need friends who don't appreciate me the way I am. As for my parents, my mom is the typical two-faced southern baptist hypocrite who is all about Jesus and "isn't God just so wonderful" until it's time for her to actually walk the walk. My dad, in the nearly 34 years I've been on this Earth, has only been to church 6 or 7 times, but he's extremely against anything outside of what the bible dictates life should be like. He's not too fond of other races, he thinks the LGBT community are "a bunch of whackos", and he doesn't take women seriously. The only reason my mom isn't relegated to cooking, cleaning, and shutting the hell up is because he doesn't have the spine to stand up to her. I know they both read my post, but to date neither have said a single word about it, either on Facebook or in person. I assume they're both just in denial. When I was 18 and I started researching CoS, my mom found out and threatened to kick me out of the house, but when I pushed back and said that I wasn't going to have my beliefs dictated to me, she clammed up. In truth, I'm surprised I haven't had much in the way of push back from my family. I guess the whole "This is me. Take it or leave it" approach is pretty effective.

prhill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »
I never had any issues with my family. And for the most part no issues at any of the offices I have worked at except one.

Calc

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 12:58:07 PM »
Just an update. My mother is now conpletely fine with it. She said she identifies as a LaVeyan Satanist, and thinks pur tenets are amazing. However, I just started college. In my program, there is a lot of über religious people. Mainly Christians. For the first time in a long time a friend of mine found out I was a Satanist and a TST member and said I would go to hell and die because of my sin. He even read the tenets and I gave him a history lesson on us as well as CoS but he still thinks I'm "of the devil". I thought maybe college would be different but it really isn't unfortunately. Reading these posts are amazing though. You're all so strong. I totally get what you mean by being a different person around family members. I'm biromantic and a satanist, some people just dont understand so I really have to keep my personal life on the down-low. I recently got engaged though, she's pagan. But again, she understands and loves me regardless.  :D Its nice to come here and talk to people of the same mindset and not feel scared to be who I am.

Lilith Sitara

• ♀Ave Satana♂
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 02:05:54 PM »
First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is so wonderful and I wish you many happy years ahead with your love. Secondly, term just started at my college and when my financial aid comes in I am going to get somethings to wear that are satanic, so we'll see how people act, I love social experiments.

Calc

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2016, 05:21:13 AM »
Thank you so much!  :D Yes i agree social experiments are fun as hell! I love studying and observing human behaviour  :)

Rich Loser

• Music Maker. Comic Book Geek.
    • View Profile
    • My Band's Music. (Sumner Park)
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
My Mom found out by way of Facebook and my Baphomet pendant. She wasn't happy, but I think she accepts me no matter what, which is good, but she tried to flat out tell me that I am NOT a Satanist, to which I replied, "then you're not a Christian." She just laughed and said "Yes I am!" So, I'm not exactly sure if she really BELIEVES that I am a Satanist, but it doesn't matter to me, because I will practice whatever philosophy or religion I want to, since I am an adult.  8)

My Dad found out by way of my Baphomet Pendant, he just gave me a thumbs up and a nod. He isn't a fan of dogmatic religion, which he just refers to as "Jesus shit." Haha.

Alchemist16AD

• Embrace The Black Rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 01:45:31 AM »
My Mom found out by way of Facebook and my Baphomet pendant. She wasn't happy, but I think she accepts me no matter what, which is good, but she tried to flat out tell me that I am NOT a Satanist, to which I replied, "then you're not a Christian." She just laughed and said "Yes I am!" So, I'm not exactly sure if she really BELIEVES that I am a Satanist, but it doesn't matter to me, because I will practice whatever philosophy or religion I want to, since I am an adult.  8)

My Dad found out by way of my Baphomet Pendant, he just gave me a thumbs up and a nod. He isn't a fan of dogmatic religion, which he just refers to as "Jesus shit." Haha.

I like the (jesus shit) that is very funny indeed. ;-) 
Forged from wisdom, crafted from knowledge, a product of intelligence, raised by ignorance and stupidly. -Myself .

Rich Loser

• Music Maker. Comic Book Geek.
    • View Profile
    • My Band's Music. (Sumner Park)
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 07:27:31 PM »

I like the (jesus shit) that is very funny indeed. ;-)

Yeah my dad is a funny guy, haha. I feel bad for him, though, cause I know the rest of the family will probably be in charge of his funeral when he passes (which i hope isn't anytime soon, he's in his 60s), and they will make it all about "jesus shit." Everytime we had to go to a funeral (too many, he has a lot of aging brothers and sisters), he would say on the way home that he doesn't want a church involved in his funeral. I'm gonna try my best to step in and make sure he gets what he wants.

ArazelEternal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »
I dont bother to tell them.  They know I am an athiest but they dont need to know more than that.  It isnt worth the drama, and I know there would be some.