Author Topic: The Right To Die  (Read 2663 times)

Lynn Morgan

• View Profile
Re: The Right To Die
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 09:21:31 PM »
I would love to see this happen and get behind this. However, if you do eventually decide to start an organisation, I would recommend having everything set up in advance, so that the organisation does not become latent.

Satt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 05:44:08 AM »
"One's body is inviolable, subject to one's own will alone."

This is perhaps the most powerful of tenets IMHO.

Arcade Abdiel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 01:17:49 AM »
Right to die, or assisted dying, came to the fore here in Aotearoa last year when a lawyer with a terminal illness sought declarations from our High Court on certain criminal issues. One of the lecturers from my old law school has written an article that some of you may find interesting:
https://www.criminalbar.org.nz/sites/default/files/NZCLR%20issue%201%20-%20As%20Published.pdf

LewCfurr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 12:34:21 PM »
Here in Canada we finally got a decent progressive government and parliament has amended the Canadian Criminal Code to allow for physician assisted death in some cases. Here is a link for those interested in the subject... http://eol.law.dal.ca/?page_id=236

Speaking purely for myself, if I ever get a terminal diagnosis, I'm checking out ASAP. I've watched too many loved ones go slowly which can be painful for the terminally ill person, but most nearly is always painful for the terminally ill persons friends/family.
People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

LucasPhoenix

• Helel Ben-Shachar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 11:36:05 PM »
when are we going to grant people the right to die on their own terms?

I fully support this in every way shape and form.  I think it fits perfectly with the tenant "One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone."  The end of life option act passed here in California in June of this year.  As you might imagine there are tons of hoops a person has to go through to get this medication and get it approved by a doctor but at least its a step in the right direction. 
Forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.

Benjamin T. Awesome

• View Profile
    • My Medium
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
when are we going to grant people the right to die on their own terms?

There are some public safety concerns regarding where corpses end up and whether any collateral damage could be done in the course of the death, but I do agree that a person who wants to die should be able to do it without it being an onerous process. If someone wants to die, things are probably bad enough for that person already; why heap extra indignity on top of that? It's actually extremely sadistic to do that. Let people die in peace FFS.

Master Necromancer

• I'd rather die living, than live already dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
There's still quite the stigma attached to "right to die", and in some cases it's understandable. For instance, if a person is comatose and their family says that the person would've wanted them to pull the plug, do we listen to the family? Or in other cases, do we allow someone that is clearly mentally ill to kill themselves, when they clearly are incapable of making a rational decision?

I still think we should have "right to die", but in some cases I can understand it would create some ethical problems.
Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.

-Martin Luther

Scarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »
I think a lot of people are/would be on board (I'm sure there are many that aren't aware that this is something people are urging for). A lot of the opposition probably comes from people thinking it's somehow immoral, greedy people that want that sick person to pay taxes and/or medical bills (gotta be alive for that), people worried doctor's might make that a first suggestion instead of a last resort (lazy doctors in a way), people worried it may in some way devalue human life the same way society sort of casually euthanizes animals, etc...

I'm all for it, especially if it's like the end of Soylent Green (scary movie, but the suicide rooms were so pleasant!) but I can see where some people may find issue with it.

Arcade Abdiel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 10:21:19 PM »
Just checking in on this thread again. Interesting development here in New Zealand. Heard on the radio an elderly woman saying how plainclothes police officers came to her home with a warrant and took away her euthanasia kit that she had bought a few years back (she kept saying it was a helium tank?). She described the officers as looking embarrassed but said the whole thing was essentially an act of intimidation by the State - they knew she was a member of a "right to die" advocacy group and somehow knew she had the kit.

News broke today that the Police also set up a fake breath-testing checkpoint to catch attendees of a euthanasia advocacy group meeting - again a clear act of intimidation which thankfully is being condemned.

http://thespinoff.co.nz/society/26-10-2016/police-admit-they-mounted-a-sham-breath-testing-checkpoint-and-it-stinks/

Does this sort of thing happen in other countries? Would be comical if it wasn't so worrying.