Author Topic: The Right To Die  (Read 2662 times)

AdversaryOfGod

• View Profile
The Right To Die
« on: December 23, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »
When are we going to grant people the right to die on their own terms? We already allow people to sign DNR's but what about the people who live with immeasurable suffering that are told they must wait to die? How can it possibly be considered unethical to provide people with a humane and peaceful way out?

I propose a multi-tired screening process to assure a patients will and weed out abuses of the system. First the patient would need to be referred by their primary care physician and an informed discussion. Second, the patient would meet with a psychologist to determine whether or not the patient has the mental capacity to make such a decision. Third, the patient would meet with the physician that would perform the procedure to discuss the process step by step. If the patient still wishes to continue, the three doctors would submit their profession opinions and supporting evidence to a medical board for review. As long as the necessary criteria is met, the procedure will be approved.

Furthermore, the patient will have the right to cancel or postpone the procedure at any time without fear of being looked down upon. This is not suicide. This is an end to suffering and a way to grant people the dignity they deserve.

I believe this "right to die" adheres fully to the beliefs of TST and would like to see this become an active campaign. What are your thoughts and ideas?

Achilles

• View Profile
Re: The Right To Die
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 05:48:25 PM »
This is most definitely an issue that will eventually become legal, as far as it goes now, at least in Pennsylvania, you have the right to refuse treatment that keeps you alive via extraordinary means, usually decided by the family members with power of attorney, so i do see we can't be too far off from it becoming legal.

AdversaryOfGod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »
I'm talking about euthanasia. Not just simply letting nature take it's course. I recognize that there are a few states that have legalized assisted suicide to some extent but I think there needs to be more of a push from the public to really gain the necessary momentum. The entire idea of it being illegal infringes on our personal rights over our own lives. Who are they to dictate our ultimate end?

Achilles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:42:32 PM »
I'm talking about euthanasia. Not just simply letting nature take it's course. I recognize that there are a few states that have legalized assisted suicide to some extent but I think there needs to be more of a push from the public to really gain the necessary momentum. The entire idea of it being illegal infringes on our personal rights over our own lives. Who are they to dictate our ultimate end?
I know what your talking about, but if your looking for a push, you'll just have to wait till there are too many people on the planet, and not enough food to feed them, say around 2050.

AdversaryOfGod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 06:58:16 PM »
By that logic, what's the rationale for the abortion rights campaign? A campaign for the right to die would be supportive of the same values. Are there factors that I'm not seeing that could potentially make such a push unfavorable to TST?

Psy-Q

• View Profile
    • Blog and about page
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 01:53:23 AM »
Please do contact people from the Swiss companies Dignitas and Exit if you want to know about how they shaped their process to be bulletproof and to prevent abuse. We've had legal euthanasia in Switzerland for decades and I'm very happy that no religious crazies managed to take that away. Come to think of it, might make sense to talk to press people from both organizations, because they are often involved in TV discussions with zealots and they do a good job reminding them that each person's body is their own to decide what to do with.

AdversaryOfGod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
Please do contact people from the Swiss companies Dignitas and Exit if you want to know about how they shaped their process to be bulletproof and to prevent abuse. We've had legal euthanasia in Switzerland for decades and I'm very happy that no religious crazies managed to take that away. Come to think of it, might make sense to talk to press people from both organizations, because they are often involved in TV discussions with zealots and they do a good job reminding them that each person's body is their own to decide what to do with.

Thanks for the input. I've been looking into Dignitas. I'm unfamiliar with EXIT though. I'll have to do some digging on them too.

Achilles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 05:31:34 AM »
By that logic, what's the rationale for the abortion rights campaign? A campaign for the right to die would be supportive of the same values. Are there factors that I'm not seeing that could potentially make such a push unfavorable to TST?
You can't stop someone from killing themselves, i understand it's not legal, which is just stupid, but down the road it will be, when governments start looking for ways to decrease the population. This is an issue that really doesn't need a push, time will do it for you.

AdversaryOfGod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
You can't stop someone from killing themselves, i understand it's not legal, which is just stupid, but down the road it will be, when governments start looking for ways to decrease the population. This is an issue that really doesn't need a push, time will do it for you.

Perhaps. Then again, abortion rights and medicinal marijuana would have never gained any traction without strong supporters. Even today they battle with ignorant zealots that would just as soon have those freedoms denied. I'm not sure waiting decades on a wishful hope is the right course of action. With the growing support of physician aided death, tactically, now would be the ideal time to act. I'm leaning towards starting a local a advocacy group while inviting fellow Satanists to support the cause. Fundamentally, I think we can all agree that the choice is ours and ours alone.

secret_mountain_lady

• Everybody feeds the fat boy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »
I really like the idea of this being a topic to get behind. However I do agree fighting for its legal status is a rather pointless affair. Yes, it is very ridiculous that auto-termination is illegal but it isn't stopping anyone or infringing upon anyones rights in a significant way. I think a different angle would be to attempt to remove the stigma behind it. Decades of ignorant rhetoric from countless organization has instilled a lot hateful and judgmental notions regarding the subject. I think ennobling of the act and those who choose it, is great  idea. I mean, theoretically it could also lead its legalization. I'd like to hear more.

AdversaryOfGod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
I really like the idea of this being a topic to get behind. However I do agree fighting for its legal status is a rather pointless affair. Yes, it is very ridiculous that auto-termination is illegal but it isn't stopping anyone or infringing upon anyones rights in a significant way. I think a different angle would be to attempt to remove the stigma behind it. Decades of ignorant rhetoric from countless organization has instilled a lot hateful and judgmental notions regarding the subject. I think ennobling of the act and those who choose it, is great  idea. I mean, theoretically it could also lead its legalization. I'd like to hear more.

I'm still organizing my thoughts and researching successful implementation around the world. I do like that idea though. Even the doctors that have stepped outside of the law to help some of these people have been crucified by the media. A show of support for them could be an effective approach.

Sebastian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
https://www.deathwithdignity.org/learn/access/

This is a useful resource.

There is progress on the "right to die" issue. Brittany Maynard's story helped to bring this issue into the light. From what I can tell, those states with "death with dignity" laws seem to have good safeguards in place for preventing abuse. I agree that this is an important issue, and one shouldn't have to move to Oregon (as Brittany did) just to die. 

secret_mountain_lady

• Everybody feeds the fat boy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »

There is progress on the "right to die" issue. Brittany Maynard's story helped to bring this issue into the light. From what I can tell, those states with "death with dignity" laws seem to have good safeguards in place for preventing abuse. I agree that this is an important issue, and one shouldn't have to move to Oregon (as Brittany did) just to die.

I have heard of Brittany's story before I was unaware as to the extent of the red tape. Looking forward to researching more tonight and hearing more from Adversary and NeroNomos. Please share any new resources you come up with. I certainly will.

AdversaryOfGod

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »

Although I think this is a good start, there are still too many loopholes for zealots to deny people this right. Even the suggested alternatives (starvation and sedation) are slow and ultimately undignified. It would be a good first step though. Just having any form of physician aided death would be monumental. I'm going to look into contacting them for more info. Connecting with other advocates would be very advantageous.

Brutus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 12:37:46 AM »
This is something that hits very close right now, as I have a relative who is very sick with just 3 to 6 months to live, and they live in a dying with dignity state. When they time comes, they are going to take this option. It was suggested by the doctor because of the severity of her illness and the pain she's already in.
As it was explained to me it is done with a pill. It's prescribed by the doctor and once the prescription is filled, the patient has 15 days to take it. It they decide not to take it, the pill must be given back. Once the pill is taken, the patient will lapse into a coma and eventually pass away. It may take up to 3 days before the person passes. I'm not going to say this info is 100%, as it was told to me by relatives not a doctor, so some info may have gotten a little jumbled around.
My opinion about if this is a cause to get behind or not, I believe it is. I believe most people in this world when they get to a point in their life of facing death with some time to think and "plan" so to speak, they want to have the say of when they go. They want to not have to suffer days, months, or sometimes years with crippling pain. They don't want to put their family in debt, or spend what last savings they have just staying alive. They want to go in a peaceful way that doesn't financially ruin their family. They want to go in their homes surrounded by their loved ones with their last moments being somber but loving.